When Do The Allegheny River Catfish Start Biting?

Discussion in 'LOCAL PENNSYLVANIA TALK' started by tbartek, Apr 24, 2006.

1. tbartek

tbartek New Member Supporting Member

State:
    New Germany, PA
    Some of us that have to drive an hour and a half would appreciate it if you local guys let us know when the cats finally start to bite on the Allegheny. I've been chomping at the bit!!!
    :dribble:

2. DeerHunter01

DeerHunter01 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    tbartek

watch the river temps once they hit a good 55 * and hold there for a couple of days go get them. You should be all set soon, when I lived there I always got to fish for flatheads the first week of May around the 5th, we caught some great flatheads during that time, between May 5th and May 20th seems to be the best for flatheads in the Allegany and Ohio and Mon river system. Good luck here is a chart for your water temps:

http://www.lrd-wc.usace.army.mil/navtemp.html

3. back channel

back channel Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Eric thanks for the info and link. I was wondering myself when the cats are going to start biting.

4. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Tim - My buddy who fishes the Allegheny a lot caught a few Channels on Sunday. Like Deerhunter said, the water needs to warm up to 55* or better and things will get real good. I hope to get out some morning this week and I'll post water temp. and fishing results. I will be able to dock my pontoon this weekend, I called the marina where I keep it on Pool #7 and the owner told me to bring it on up! That's when I start my serious river fishin'. If you would like to join me sometime let me know. The marina is located at Kittanning above Lock & Dam #7.

5. tbartek

State:
    New Germany, PA
    Thanks deerhunter, didn't know that information existed. Great info!

6. tbartek

State:
    New Germany, PA
    Scott, sounds like a great idea. I'll take you up on that when the river heats up. It's getting a little expensive to drive up very often, but man has to fish!:thumbsup:

7. DeerHunter01

DeerHunter01 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Guys if any of you are interested I am coming back up home on May 13th to fish in the Ohio River out of Chester WV, along the Pa state line and along the state of Ohio, I will be bringing my boat up got a all nighter going out of Chester. I am going to have to get either a PA or WV 1 day or 3 day license, if any of you would like to go there with your boats and we could pull a all nighter on the river would be glad to hook up.

Chester is on Route 30, just 4 miles outside the state of Pa and about 35 Miles from Pittsburgh. Its just across the river from East Liverpool Ohio. Let me know it could be a blast get a bunch from the BOC fishing it.

8. jigerjim

jigerjim New Member

State:
    North East Pa.
    I'm trying to understand what's going on here, some of you are saying the water temp has to be close to 55* before the Channel's realy start to hit well. Here in N.E. Pa. on the Suskie We start to catch Channel's right after ice out and even through the ice sometime. I think sometime are best fishing is when the temp is in the uper 30's and low 40's and the river is high and muddy. For the moat part the fishing is good right through the daylite hour's. As the water goos down and the temp's get into the uper 50's the bite slow's down and it turn's into a after sunset bite. Is there that much difference between the East and West?

9. DeerHunter01

DeerHunter01 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    jigerjim

My post above:

I am sorry if you thought I ment Channel cats, this is not what I was talking about. Channels are very active in colder conditions, But you will be very hard pressed to catch a flathead in colder waters then 50*

10. tbartek

State:
    New Germany, PA
    Deerhunter, I did mean flatheads, sorry, I just said cats. Of course on my few trips to the Allegheny so far this year I've only caught 1 Channel cat. So maybe there is some difference between the eastern and western varieties.:rolleyes:

11. Gone fishin 4 kittys

Gone fishin 4 kittys New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I have been hitting some small channels on the allgheny as of last week!

12. tbartek

State:
    New Germany, PA
    Well it looks like things are starting to happen in the Allegheny at least down at lock 2 where bigpapa fishes:big_smile: