When do that flathead catfish shut off?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by ninrugger, Oct 14, 2007.

1. ninrugger

ninrugger New Member

State:
    WI
    last weekend i managed to get 4 flatties, nothing big....but atleast they were active. the water temp was around 70. this weekend i wasn't able to get anything except a few nips from what i assumed to be channels....the water temp this weekend was 57. at what temp do you think that flatties start to shut down and head for their wintering homes?

2. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    I always heard between 50 and 60 degrees you can catch them. But you put a bait in front of ones face, and it dont matter what the temp is, if he is hungry he will take it.

3. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    So your water temp went from 70 to 57 degrees in a week?
    That's probably your problem right there!

They will still feed at 57 (although they are likely heading for wintering holes, as has already been said), but a fast change like that is going to put them off for a bit until they get used to it.

4. vegasryder

vegasryder New Member

State:
    illinois
    I was just going to pm you with a similar question...Looks like someone beat me to it:big_smile:. Have you had any luck fishing for channels or Flats recently? I`ve been trying for the past 2 months with little success especially for Flats. The flooding in the Fox definitely made it a bad fall fishing for everybody. So my best bet is to start fishing the deeper water in search for their holes?

5. eric_f

eric_f New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Good info here. Thanks!

6. IllinoisBoy

IllinoisBoy New Member

State:
    Rochelle, Illinois
    I'm new to flathead fishing this year. It must be serious if I want to go to the river instead of the woods in October. I've been on the Rock between Oregon and Dixon. Haven't gotten my first fish yet, but I appreciate your posts and videos...

7. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I usually don't target flatheads, but while fishing for big blues in the winter I've caught flatheads when the water temps. were in the upper 40's. I don't know if the flathead bite ever shuts down completely, but that's the coldest water I've ever caught a flathead from. Flatheads definitely don't feed as much in colder water as blue cats do.