When do stripers start?

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by bnt55, Mar 19, 2009.

1. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    Just wondering at what water temperature do you start fishing for stripers and other white bass, also what techniques do you use on the river for them? I really enjoy catching a mixed bag when out on the river anything from catfish to bass.

Thanks
    Bill

2. John Jennings

John Jennings New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I talked to my buddy's dad " Col Reese" down at lake cumberland and he said it has been slow so far but expects it to pick up by the end of the month. I have read reports that the river stripers have been on but the water level keeps going up and down so its harder to fish. I would expect it to pick up alot when the water temp hits about 50-55 degrees, right now it is about 45.

3. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Not sure about stripers but I figure white bass about the middle to the last of next month. I use to catch the white bass run in Northern Ohio about mid to late May. So due to us being farther south I figure a month or so earlier.

4. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    What do you guys use to catch stripers? In lake Cumberland I know they troll for them, wonder if it would work on the river? I have heard good things about the hydro dams but I live 45 minutes away and I know the river near me has got to hold some good sized stripes....darnit!:tounge_out:

5. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I've never fished for stripers but have always heard that Buck tailed jigs work well. I would think a big Rapala would work also.

6. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Pickwick end of Ky lake the white bass have been eating it up for months. But then again we catch them here year around.
    Striper's are starting here. But when the water temps hit 50 degrees and rising they turn on . Looking forward to catching a few hundred a week of the striper's this spring.
    Pete

7. Wilbur T.

Wilbur T. New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    My dad and I caught the fire out of white bass in an Arkansas oxbow lake last weekend. Water temp was 53 degrees. I think that 50-degree range is the magic time.

8. John Jennings

John Jennings New Member

State:
    kentucky
    most of the stripers are caught on live bait herring and shad. Some troll with spoons and some use down riggers and planner boards. they run deep in the summer and fall in cumberland, I've seen 60ft and deeper as the normal range. they are fun to catch but a lot of work at times so i stick primarily to cats...the best phrase yet comes from team"BAIT and WAIT"!