When do channel catfish spawn?

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by Canadiancatman, Jul 12, 2009.

1. Canadiancatman

Canadiancatman New Member

State:
    Manitoba Canada
    I was wondering at what water temps do channels start to spawn? Also do you all notice that the size of the fish goes way down and all you get is piddly little males during the spawn? I've noticed this it usually lasts a week or two then I start to see the big girls again they get pretty skinny but fatten up real quick on goldeyes and mooneyes!! :big_smile:

2. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Around here it is 65-70 degrees:wink:

3. Canadiancatman

State:
    Manitoba Canada
    Thanks Robb that's about the same as here. :cool2:

4. jrgriffhusker

jrgriffhusker New Member

State:
    Minden, Nebrask
    Weird I was in a farm pond the other day and the temp was 78 degrees and this big girl my son caught was plum full of eggs. And they were the bright yellow eggs too. All I don't know is I think they are spawning right now and I wish they'd be done with it.

5. MiseryMike

MiseryMike New Member

State:
    Blue Springs
    look like thier done around these parts the ones i pulled out last weekend were really beat up lookin

6. ronniethomas

ronniethomas New Member

State:
    iowa
    the reason the males you are catching are small is prob because the bigger males are gaurding the nests and stay in the holes w/ the eggs; and the small males that u are catching are most likely to young to reproduce. As for the females i really could,nt tell you were they went, but i've been told that their bites will slow down dramatically for awhile after they've layed their eggs. Just keep at it the bite will pick back up before you know it. hope this helped and good luck to ya

7. Canadiancatman

State:
    Manitoba Canada
    Oh it picked up Ronnie check out my pics in the canadian section!! :wink: :cool2:

8. 2quikmotorwerks

2quikmotorwerks New Member

State:
    murda valley CA
    they are still in the prespawn /spawn mode out here in socal with the weather fluxuating so much out here the last few months were're just barely getting some constant temp which yeilded better water temps. i know the last few weeks ive been catchin females full of eggs.

9. Canadiancatman

State:
    Manitoba Canada
    Hey Omar it's been a wierd year for weather up here too! :confused2: BTW nice rainbow there!! :cool2:

Last edited: Jul 16, 2009
  10. 2quikmotorwerks

2quikmotorwerks New Member

State:
    murda valley CA
    thanks , yea that rainbow weighed 12.14

11. Canadiancatman

State:
    Manitoba Canada
    Sweet!!! That's a beauty bud!! :cool2:

12. ronniethomas

ronniethomas New Member

State:
    iowa
    nice looks like you guys did real good; congrats and thanx for posting the pics

13. twisted

twisted New Member

yea the weather hasnt been all that great here either. the average temp is in the low 70s. it seems like it rains every day....

14. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    this has alot of good info http://www.gameandfishmag.com/fishing/RA_0606_06/#cont