When do catfish go bad?

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by Rottdog, Feb 27, 2007.

1. Rottdog

Rottdog New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Hello again to everyone out here on the cyberpond,
    I'm trying to figure out when a man goes fishing all day/night and is keeping his catch on a stringer for tablefare, When that man calls it a night and pulls up his catch and realizes there are some dead fish, wheter they swallowed the hook or whatever, how does a man determine if a Catfish is still OK to clean and consume? Is there a timeframe? Is there something on or about the fish that will help you make that determination?

Thanks again to everyone for their input.

Garrett

2. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Well what I like to do is if I am taking fish home when i catch one that i will eat I cut the tail off then and let hime bleed out good this will make the meat taste a lot better. Then I put him in a cooler on ice. If I would use a stringer if I would see one that has pass on ice it down. The only way I would know to tell would be if it had a bad smell about it. But if your looking to bring fish home then you need to be ready to handle them as you catch them as well.

3. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    At least do a quick gutting and cleaning, then get them on ice. Then you won't have to worry about it.

4. catfishray

catfishray New Member

State:
    texas
    I was told that if the gils had turned white do not eat them. If we think we are losing one in the livewell we gut it and cut the head and gils off then put it on ice saves space.

5. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    I can't say that I've had too many dead fish. It seems like the fish are usually still alive when I go to clean them. If I'm traveling, I will pack them in ice to keep them cool, and If I'm going straight to the cleaning station, I will cut the tails off and let them bleed out first. I usually do this though, anyway especially if it is a big fish. I guess the main thing is try to keep the meat cool.

6. Ghost River

Ghost River New Member

State:
    Carolina
    Now this might not be the soundest logic i nthe world but I don't know any bacterial that can survive 375 degree hot grease. If the meat 12 hours dead and has not started decomposing, I say fry it up.

7. just cats

just cats New Member

State:
    Leslie Missouri
    I agree completely, I carry some one gallon baggies on the boat just for the fish I keep. By putting them in the baggies you don't end up with blood all over your cooler.Besides the fact that you end up with better fish that way, it also saves you the job of cleaning them after you get home from a long day of fishing, when all you really want to do is hit the shower and then the recliner. Besides, cleaning the fish gives you something to do when waiting for the next bite. Each to his own but no way am I cleaning and eating a stiff and colorless fish that's been hanging on a stringer all day.Never been that hungry.

8. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    i have eaten fish that had been dead for 16hrs. it still tasted fine. But it was cold then, i wouldnt try thzt in the summer.