When do bluegill come shallow again?

Discussion in 'Bluegill Fishing' started by Ravensmavsfan, Feb 26, 2006.

1. Ravensmavsfan

Ravensmavsfan New Member

State:
    Cincinnati,OH
    When do the bluegill come up from the deep water to spawn this spring.
    At what water temp?

2. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    Im not sure about the temperature off the top of my head, but I know that whenever it gets to be anywhere much over 50 for any length of time (usually a week will do it) then they will start to come up into the warm shallower waters and feed. But like I said, spawning I dont know about.

3. TheDriftFisherman

TheDriftFisherman New Member

State:
    NC
    They spawn the first full moon of may.

4. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    in sw ohio they usually spawn around mid-late May, or sometimes early June. all depends on water temps. both crappie and bluegill will start to spawn on either the full or new moon and almost always on the due north side of a small lake or pond. find a shallow area on the north shore and you'll find spawning gills.

5. Tym2Fish

Tym2Fish New Member

State:
    Scottsdale Arizona
    Dont know about OH but went fishing yesterday in AZ and the water temp was 52/53 degrees and they were still sitting deep in about 20-30 ft of water.

6. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I have heard that first full moon in May theory before.

Right now I am catching small ones only around brush and at a depth of around 3-6 feet in 62 degree water. It seems that to get onto the medium size Bluegill I am having to set the bait at around 7-10 feet, but the shallower/smaller fish are fine me as bait.

I did land a monster (LOL) while catching bait the other day, it was just over a pound, but I let that one go so she could do some spawning here in a few weeks.

7. Carolina Reb

Carolina Reb New Member

State:
    Willow Springs
    The first full moon of May is good but I really like the June moon they seem to be more aggressive....Carolina Reb

8. charliedog

charliedog New Member

State:
    New Albany, Indiana
    Bluegill will leave their winter holding places as the water warms to around 50 degrees at which point they will start to make their way back to the shallows to feed. As the water approaches 67 to 68 degrees spawning will commence, peaking at approximately 75 degrees.
    Charlie

9. David Knotts

David Knotts New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La
    I allways do good from mid May to the end of July. I just have to start movin deep when the water starts gettin warmer.

10. ASASIN

ASASIN New Member

State:
    Lawson Missouri
    In the ponds around here we are getting them in 1-3 foot of water, with the temperature being around 45 or so. God bless.

11. delawareriver

delawareriver Member

State:
    bath pa
    i agree ill start getting them shallow about late april when it gets to be alittle over or right at 50 but the june action is best.

12. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Watch the deeper water 4-8 feet deep for small bubbles periodically.
    Thats where your bigger bluegills and shellcrackers are bedding.
    And smell that smell. If you get down wind you can follow the smell in a boat and find the deeper water beds.