When did you catch your first flathead catfish?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by flathunter, May 13, 2006.

1. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I caught my first flathead appx 22 years ago, it was caught on a limbline on live blugill..The fish was released and ever since then I have targeted these great fish with rod and reel only..My biggest flathead to date was 50-lb and was caught on frozen shad...Since then I have caught a couple 40-lb class fish, but the last few years have lead to poor results with the biggest fish in 3 years being 25.5lbs...I have made alot of mistakes througout the years while chasing flatheads..I used to catch most of my flatheads in shallow water at night..A few years ago I switched to fishing deep holes only and the results have been bad..This is in medium sized rivers..I have caught more flatheads in 3ft of water, than I have fishing 25ft holes...I still fish deep holes but find they are mainly a daytime producer. Shallow water at night in the prespawn period is best for me...And I have caught many more flatheads on cut bait, shad and sucker than live bait..This could be do to that I mainly fish cutbait.

2. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    I caught my first flathead at Lake GISON, INDIANA in 1987. It was about 2 pounds.

3. maddcatter

maddcatter New Member

State:
    Newark, Oh
    I caught my first last year at the ohio river using goldfish. A whopping 1lb flathead!!!!!!! I've witnessed flats being caught for the past few years, and have always been intrigued by the beasts. Just got my personal best last monday. 24lbs 10oz. A few days before, I had one even bigger break my 50lb power pro.

4. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I have caught flatheads with my uncle on his trotline/juglines but since they were his equipment, his locations, I consider those as his catch. Ive only caught 1 flathead myself and it was about 1 month ago 11#.

5. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    I caught my 1st Flathead back about 1976 when I was 13 years old on the Allegheny River at East Brady. It was about 18" and I thought I had caught Moby Dick, LOL!

6. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    In july 98 I set out to flathead fish for the first time after reading catfish fever by In-fish. I caught 4 all were 5 or 6 pounds or less plus one channel the same size. That was all it took, I was excited for days afterward. Fished almost every night that summer after work. Never got one bigger than those first ones till the following year.

7. douglas_413

douglas_413 New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I caught my first flathead last summer on a throw line. I am still waiting to catch one on rod and reel. Hopefully I won't have to wait much longer.

8. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i cant remember exactly but i think it was 1986, and i was 15yrs old. used to be a small ******* near me and would go there on the weekends (kept me off drugs and out of trouble) to fish for channels and bullheads. caught a 12lb (?) flat by accident then, but didnt really start targeting them until i was 17.

9. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    May 2004 on the Ohio river with Adam Foster and DH. I remember it well! LOL!

10. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I got my first in the summer of 85'. I was fishing flooded water in the Muskingum, meaning the lowheaddams didn't have much drop. I was in a 9 foot jon boat with a 5 1/2 hp evinrude. To get out of the feeder creek that shot out into the river at full speed I had to pass through an alley of trees probably 200 yards long. I flew downstream anchored in a bend and caught a 5lb. flattie on chicken liver. Returning to the cottage, I could barely make headway upstream. I am lucky to be alive. I didn't catch the next flathead til last year when I found the BOC. Jim White showed me the place, Netman missed the first one (broke 40lb. test) Then I watched Catfish drag in a 35lbr and seconds later get another run which he let me catch. (I felt like I was 5). Weeks later I caught a 31 1/2 lbr my personal best. Later in the year Netman and I caught 3-4 each in the Muskingum but none over 6-7 lbs.
    This year I've been skunked so far as far as flatties. I've caught several 3 lb-6lb channels but even my daughter has me beat this year! She got an 8 lbr.
    Ahh Well, I'll find one of them critters.

11. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I caught my first flathead when I was around 7, up on the Fox River in Illinios. I was just fishing between docks with a nightcrawler under a bobber and the bobber had just passed the pole of the dock and then just disappeared and I was thinking it might be a channel cat, bass, or crappie. Reeled her in and it was a beautiful 1lb flathead.:big_smile:

12. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I caught my first flathead so long ago, that if it was just an average flathead, and put on weight as the average flathead does, AND, (big and) if I had practiced CPR in those days, why sir, the flathead would be so big it would be chasing Moby Dick for lunch.

13. bammabuck

bammabuck New Member

State:
    bama
    2 weeks ago while striper fishing..

14. KanHeadhunter

KanHeadhunter New Member

State:
    S. E. K.
    May 1980 while crappie fishing. It weighed about 1lb.

15. Justin

Justin New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I caught my first flathead catfish on a hot Summer night in 1994. I was fishing for channel cats and decided to use a little 3-4 inch perch I had caught for bait. It was sitting out there almost all night and I was starting to think it was just too big for the cats in our waters. Next thing you know that rod almost went in the water since I just had it rested up against a log. I hooked the fish and knew right away this wasn't one of the little channel cats I was used to catching. I thought it was a really big channel cat. So after fighting him for a bit I finally get him in and its a 15# Flathead.......:lol: Needless to say I was using perch for years after that every time I went fishing.:wink:

16. NCCatter

NCCatter Member

State:
    North Carolina
    My first flathead was last year out of the Cape Fear River. It only weighed about 2 pounds, but I was happy nonetheless. I had a bream head on the hook and I kept getting a tap tap tap on the rod, like a channel cat bite. When I finally pulled it in I saw that it wasn't hooked at all, but it was choking on the bream head cuz it was too big to swallow! I may never catch a big flathead because I just don't have the patience to exclusively fish for them. I much rather prefer the quicker biting blues and channels.

17. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    I caught my first flathead in front of a log jam in the Kansas river when I was about 10 yrs old. I caught it on a frog under a float.It was about 5 lbs.

18. Shawn

Shawn New Member

State:
    Illinois
    First flat came on 7/17/2004 for me... a friend took me out and fishing some bridge footings I got two - one around 11# and a smaller 4# one. My friend caught one about 15#.

I didn't target flatheads before summer of 2002. I was always a fan of dip baits and cut bait before.

The first flat I ever hooked (2002) was powerful.. with 20# line it took me out and into the wood never to be seen again. I guess I was hooked too after that.

I haven't got that 20 pounder yet, but i'm optimistic for this season. I haven't caught that many, but I could describe each catch in great detail.

Shawn

19. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

i was all most 10 years old when i got my first one it was caught on the kansas river near constant park i got it on a locast i found singing on a tree trunk it was small some where around a few pounds i think,and i have been chaseing them ever since

20. claycntyjoe

claycntyjoe New Member

State:
    Northern Kentucky
    It was 1987 in the Ohio river. It went about 3lb.

I fell in love with catfishing that summer. I had moved from Clay county (south eastern KY in the Daniel Boone National Forest) to N KY and had never really fished a large river before. Luckily I had someone to show me how to fish the bigger water and I was hooked on river fishing for good.