when did you catch your first flathead catfish last year

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by flathunter, Dec 24, 2008.

1. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I am already looking forward to spring, and prespawn flats.

It all depends on the weather for me...If we get a couple good warm weeks in april I usually catch my firts flat around mid april..last year it was on april 18th.

I usually dont fish much in march cause it is usually cold and nasty with cold water temps

2. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i didn't know what i was missin out on, i didn't even think flatheads were around my area, and have been using chicken liver forever, i didn't hear of anyone catchin flatheads around here until last summer but then i was busy gettin married and the daughter starting 1 st grade, the first time i threw sunnies was sept 13 and that first nite i caught a 23# and bunch 8-12# , then the next weekend i went out i caught a 25#, then the weekend after that a 20#, then the next thing i knew it was nov. and the flatheads got lock jaw :angry:, so i got a real late start and am really looking forward to this spring:big_smile:

3. catfish_clayton

catfish_clayton New Member

State:
    Catania, Italy,
    I caught my first one in the middle of March last year. It turned out to be my new pb 28lbs.

4. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I think our first was in January last year....:eek:oooh:...small guy on the ohio river, and he was as yellow as a banana!

5. smokey869

smokey869 New Member

State:
    frederickt
    my 1st one last year was on memorial day, i know i had missed one a week or so earlier, that was at the muskingum river, about 13 lbs

6. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    7 pound flathead on the great miami on a small bluegill rick

7. x smokin joe

x smokin joe Well-Known Member

State:
    Monclova,
    Name:
    Joe
    Got my first one last year May 20, small 7 pounder. Buddy I was fishing with got one on April 25.I didn't get another till June 29, then tore em up. We had high cold water way into June this past year, and I had crops to get in the fields, cut down on fishing time.

8. tackleholic

tackleholic New Member

State:
    New Albany
    11/4/08 Falls Of The Ohio, 22" flathead.

9. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    Mine was April of last year also. I do really well for flats when the water temp is around 70 degrees and the river is close to pool on the Ohio River. I need to find a good spring spot here. The river was wild last year.

10. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    My first was April 3rd last year. Caught several that day...

11. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    Flathead virgin here I went out with Lenny but it was too late in the year,this spring I'm hittin it hard I'm gonna spend a lot of time in the area scouting in the mornings and fishing and fishing at night hopefully with Lenny,but I promised my father-in-law a few trips too so I gotta take him too I wanna try to get him on some fish while tryin for myself go figure:eek:oooh:

12. BobbyLee

BobbyLee New Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohio
    Think I got my 1st ones around the end of April Beginning of May. My brother did'nt get his 1st one til July 15th on his birthday.

13. kyjake

kyjake New Member

State:
    kentucky
    April seems to be a common time to start catching,got my first last year in April from the Ohio.
    Jake

14. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Was just looking through my pics and my first flattie of '08 was a 5 lb dink caught out of the Hocking on Aug. 16. :confused2: I hope i start earlier this year!!!!!!

15. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    my first one was around the end of june 22.5 lbs out of the hocking

16. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    my first flat last year came in march, but due to high water and low water temps i didnt take another flattie until july.... hopefully this year is much better

17. andrew76

andrew76 New Member

State:
    southwest ohio
    I just went threw my jernal and my first flaty was april 15.

18. tcba1987

tcba1987 New Member

State:
    Dennison, Ohio
    i think it was on April 23rd last year for me but .........i dont fish much for flatties before April !!!