When Did the law change???

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by oh no, Mar 3, 2009.

1. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I started calling around, to get a gunsmith to remove rear military sights and install a scope mount on a German Mauser 98,,,, I have been told that they have to have a manufacturing license to modify a military rifle... Or was it always this way???

I never thought it would be a problem getting a 60 year old weapon fitted for a scope. lol

I have been priced at about 200 minumum,,, lol lol That seems high.

Am I living in the past ????

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Jim,I have a gunsmith buddy,Give me a few days and I'll see what he says,It might be a local law.:wink:

3. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I can see that if he were building up guns from parts kits, but to change the sight package, rediculas.

4. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Jim you may be able to just order the parts you need and do it yourself. I had an old 308 which I totally re-worked. Ordered new stock, tapped it for scope mounts and rubberized army scope. Thats one fine shooting ( Military) weapon.:wink:

5. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    John,,,, you are a very smart man,,,,,,,:0a31::0a31:

I googled Mauser 98 scope kit and wala,,,,,

http://www.combathunting.com/MAUSER_RIFLE-Mauser_98k_Scope_Mount_Scope.html

I'll tell you what,,, this BOC,,, has all the answers to lifes little questions,,,:smile2::smile2:

6. plugneck

plugneck New Member

State:
    NC
    I used to do this as a hobby and never heard of any such law. Any reputable gunsmith should be able to do this in short order. Some things to consider though is that after your Mauser is d/t'd for a scope you will probably need to weld on a new bolt handle or have the existing bolt handle forged to clear the scope. You will also probably need to replace the safety as the stock Mauser safety won't clear a scope. When all is said and done it is cheaper in the long run to run down to Walmart and buy a Savage or Remington off the shelf. No matter how much money you sink into a surplus military rifle to sporterize it you will never ever be able to sell it for enough to get that money back. Good luck.

7. jedimanhunter

jedimanhunter New Member

State:
    Texas
    taking gun parts in whole or and in part and assembling them with an end result being a complete firearm would be my idea of manufacturing, add for profit then you are an unlicensed manufacturer. That is my thinking from bits and pieces of info i collected in my mind through the years.

If I recall correctly, you go buy a stripped ar lower. Go get a complete parts kit, put it all together and sell it for profit you need a manfacturers license even though all the parts were built by someone else. If that is true it could be set by the number you do in a year. I do not know for sure.

Simple repair and modification you do not need a manufacturers license, for profit, you probably need a gunsmith license. Nontheless that is not my arena, its just my opinion and may not be fact.

I would confirm what he told you before he works on it. That deal smells funny to me.
    He could be at the top of his game and some new ruling to protect us came out hehehe.

8. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Hey I found the deal ,,, for me to put the mount on,,, scope and mount 120dollars..

I think these gun stores around here want to sell you a new gun,,,, I ain't getting one,,, I want that old Mauser up and running with a scope... this outfit I think is selling something like the original sniper scope.

Hey my old Mauser even has the big trigger guard for shooting in the winter with gloves on,,,,, no new bolt action would be set up like that, and besides any gun that has made it over 100 years,,, fought in ww1 and ww2,, hey that is a pretty good design,,, lol

http://www.combathunting.com/Products-MAUSER_RIFLE-.html