Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
I like the spin cast…..espically for my younger boys.I purchased a very well built Zebco 33 omega spin cast for $99 a few years ago. It’s well built machined from air craft aluminum cast great and has an ok drag for a spin cast.

It’s the best $99 I ever spent on fishing gear. With 30lb braid line the kids can cast it far, pull out of snags, and actually land a fish because the drag works decent enough on it. Dad isn’t having to pull out birds nest or tangled up spincast reels.

a good quality spincast is a must for small and young kids. Heck….I even use it once in awhile.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I like the spin cast…..espically for my younger boys.I purchased a very well built Zebco 33 omega spin cast for $99 a few years ago. It’s well built machined from air craft aluminum cast great and has an ok drag for a spin cast.

It’s the best $99 I ever spent on fishing gear. With 30lb braid line the kids can cast it far, pull out of snags, and actually land a fish because the drag works decent enough on it. Dad isn’t having to pull out birds nest or tangled up spincast reels.

a good quality spincast is a must for small and young kids. Heck….I even use it once in awhile.
Agree they are good for kids learning for all the reasons you mentioned. But I'm guessing you yourself fish with something better.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
zebco spin cast, a toy built for kids jmo,,, grew up using spinning reels long before i can remember ,,,, will say out fishing one day I drug up a rod and reel that had zebco 33 on it , been in the drink for long time cork handle and the eyes to the rod were rotted away, reel was packed full of sand got the cover off with a lot of effort flushed it all out with water and a tooth brush sprayed the heck out of it with wd40 and added some petroleum jelly and actually got the dang thing working almost as good as new, needs new drag parts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Here's a zebco catfish special I found at a flea market once. View attachment 325304 View attachment 325305
Here's a zebco catfish special I found at a flea market once. View attachment 325304 View attachment 325305
I THANK THESE REELS WHERE MADE IN 1994 OR THERE ABOUTS, WITH A 3.6 TO ONE AND WITH CUT GEARS.
NOT A BAD REEL FOR A SPINCAST, I THANK WE JUST OUTGREW THE SPINCAST ,
BUT THE SPINCAST BROUGHT A MEASURE OF PEOPLE INTO THE SPORT OF FISHING , WHICH IS IT'S GREATEST ACHIEVEMENT,IMHO.

·
Registered
35 Posts
The best advice would be to just take a little time and learn to use a current day reel. I prefer bait caster for cat fishing and spinning for panfish (bait). Both are excellent reels.

Yes,,,,,everyone gets to use whatever they want but you could also take a horse & buggy to work. Newer gear is almost always better. And it saves the spin casters for the kids just learning.

No disrespect, just a thought.

tight lines
i could not agree more with that statement, when it comes to chunking it is all about conventintonals for me. i love the old penn squidders and 505-506hs AMERICAN made reels, new bearings of course.
No disrespect, just fine reels.,imho.

·
Registered
828 Posts
I like collecting the hard to find or rare spincast reels.like i just bought a bag of 5 at a garage sale.most good spincast reels were made in japan back in the day.diawas,abu garcia abumatics.one zebco was the old copper top model.606 i think.built like a tank.the old Johnson centurys and country miles are alright.anything newin spincast is plastic with pot metal gears..junk i like the underspin models on a super whip ultra light rod for catching bluegills.

·
Registered
35 Posts
JUST WENT THROUGH A ZEBCO 20/30 FOR MY CUZ, HE COLLECTS THEM, GOOD STARTER REELS.
I AM ALL ABOUT THE OLD CONVENTIONALS , BUT I COLLECTED A FEW SPINCAST THROUGH THE YEARS.
I TOO HAVE AN OLD JOHNSON CENTURY ,100 B bought it is 63 at an ace hardware.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My wife grew up using a Zebco 33 and she refuses to change to anything else. The newer Chinesium Zebco reels I looked at seem pretty fragile but I found an older NOS US made 33 on ebay and she's happy with it.

She'd rather catch Bluegill and Crappie more than anything and it works fine for that, She's even caught a few small catfish on it.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I could not guess to the nearest dozen how many reels I own. About half of them are ABUs but the other half is about evenly split between spinning reels from tiny to saltwater surf reels. The rest are Zebcos either 33s or 22s. I fish a LOT and the different types of reels fit for different uses. The spinsters are tops for pond fishing where even a big bass can't run very far off. I also like them for skipping light lures under piers and such or even way back under overhanging limbs. My largest bass came on a Zebco 33 from a stock pond that was about one acre. I had no trouble handling it. I like them in fairly open water when I am fishing for whatever bites and often take home a mixed catch of bass, crappie, and a few BIG bluegills.

Even my small casting reels like my Shimano bantam 100s will not cast 1/8 oz Beatle spins nearly as well as the Zebco.
For smaller fish they are great. Even the Zebco 22 is nice for perch in shallow water. I like them especially for taking kids fishing and will always fish with the same reels that they are using. Never look down on someone because they are using a spincast reel. Fishing, except in tournaments, is for fun and a kid will have a lot more fun fishing with a Zebco than picking out backlashes on a bait caster. When the kid gets older and wants to expand his fishing then they will learn to cast a bait caster. LOL it is a LOT easier now than it was when I learned on an old Direct drive Shakespear knuckle buster.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Started out with 202s , 404s, when kids . Then 33s along with them . Mostly saved the 33s for fishing crappie with a minnow.
While fishing Mattox Bay near Holly Grove Arkansas , I watched huge alligator gar rolling in the same spot day after day . Being 12 or 13 yrs old , I wanted to catch one , badly , so I snuck my brothers 888 out of the cabin . I put some 50lb mono on it . My cousin and I took the 14ft rental johnboat out to the gar rolling spot and I put a 10/0 treble hook on with a 9 or 10 inch shad hooked in the nose. I casted it out and slow cranked back with the shad right on top . Maybe 5 casts later a huge bill came up behind the shad and it scared me so I cranked fast back to the boat. But because I had put that bulky line on and crankin it back a few times , it got loose on the spool and locked up about 10 ft from the boat . The gar got it and went down and under the boat , I planted my feet against the side of the boat which was kinda narrow . The reel was on a sort of heavy boat rod with a roller tip . I grabbed the rod above the reel and held on . The rod bent enough that the line was down on my thumbs and I thought the boat was going to take on water . Then The cap of the reel stripped off and the cap and guts of the reel hit the first guide . The gar being a gar was not hooked and simply let go of the hook and bait , leaving me setting there shaking, THANK GOD . I screwed the cap back on and it still held somewhat ,just slightly cracked in the threads . I still to this day maybe 50 yrs later have not told my brother I screwed up his 808.

·
Registered
189 Posts
We fish a lot of spincast reels and push them to the limit. The new 888 and 808 reels have honestly been great. We throw 3 oz plus bait all the time I the rivers and surf. My son caught the catfish in the pic with one of them when he was 8. A few months ago I pulled a 5lb drum out of the surf with the new 808 saltwater. They aren't vintage Penn strong, but they do extremely well for general fishing applications and have very little issues. I honestly have more issues with the old USA models than I have with these new ones. I have only had one 808 saltwater fail and that was after about 10 years of rough use. I contacted Zebco today and they are going to see if they can fix it. You really can go wrong with spincast.

·
Registered
271 Posts
They still make them,and some dollar ones $99.99 at bass pro ,I kee p a few for when I’m in the mood or my grandaughters go I have a Bronson wasp that’s spooled with YO Zuri that works nice and just looks old tiny.and couple of others to,I like reels even if I don’t use them.

·
Premium Member
Bill, in OkC
1,463 Posts
This is a little late, as can be seen by the dates.
My 2¢ worth.
Back when I bought my first combo, it was a Zebco 33, some 50 years ago.
I got so I could put the bait where I wanted it. I practiced with a tire laying in the yard. I could put my practice weight in it every time.
Then, I started driving a truck and didn't fish for more than 35 years.
One of my first combos I bought then was Academy's one rod, 2 Zebco 33 "kits."
That dag blasted thing (in my opinion) was junk. Wouldn't cast 20'. So, I gave it to my grandson.
I started buying spinners (I was still intimidated by baitcasters).

I now have 12 (various sized) Quantum Optix reels (made by Zebco). And 8 baitcasters. (Thanx Denny 😀).

I also have, laying on a shelf, 2 Zebco 33s that I can't give away.
Your last paragraph,Don, definitely described what I felt would be my problem, "...learn to pick out a birdnest..." But my first cast with Abu 6500 C3, was, IMO, perfect. About 75', with absolutely no overspin.
Surprised?!? Most definitely. Now it's all I want to use.

21 - 40 of 60 Posts