When did Roland become such a pimp??

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by KansasKatter, Jun 30, 2007.

1. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    When did Roland Martin stop fishing on his show, and start pimping every single item he picks up?

It is to the point I can't even watch him anymore, and I used to really enjoy his show. I watched the first 5 minutes today, and he pimped 1)Lifejacket, 2)Some outdoor store located on the water, 3)sunscreen, 4)sunglasses, and 5)Another lifejacket, which his wife was actually pimping.

That was all before they even got the boat going! I had to turn it.

BTW - Pimpin' is just another word for selling....so my teenage son tells me! Gotta stay cool you know?:cool2:

2. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    So.... nuthin's changed...:roll_eyes:

3. Smuggo

Smuggo New Member

State:
    sc
    Yep...he also pimps out his boat and motor,Frog Toggs, fish attractants and whatever flavor of the day rod ,reel and line combo he uses. A 30 min show is 15 mins of pimpin',10 mins of commercials and 5 mins of fishing...and evry fish he catches is a monster(even a 3 lb'er)!!!

Bill Dance is good but he usually fishes the same stocked pond every week.

Jimmy Houston has taken up residence somewhere in S.America. Giggles way to much.

Hank Parker seems less involved in actually fishing in his weekly show.

The indroduction of Catfishing America could not have been timed better.

4. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    i hate to throw water on the fire but if catting america doesnt get sponsers its sure gonna cost some one a lot of money to get the show on tv

5. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
  6. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    I quit watching Rolands show be cause it was just a big info commerical. He must need the money bad.
    Bill

7. jedt

jedt New Member

State:
    Cameron,Texas
    My TV show hosts like Dance, Houston, Grisby, and Martin have to plug their sponsors. Martin does seem to do it more than the rest. If you watch all of them you will notice each has his own style. Martin is not as subtle.

8. scout

scout Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Out of all the fishing shows mentioned, I like Bill Dance the best. I use to love the old opening song he had years ago on his show. I think it started out like, " WHEN THE SUN CAME UP THIS MORNING, I TOOK THE TIME TO WATCH IT RISE". I still sing it to myself when heading to my fishing hole and watching the sun come up early in the morning.:smile2:

9. BAMA_CAT

BAMA_CAT New Member

State:
    Boaz,ALABAMA
    If i was getin paid to fish and have all the free stuff i can use!!! Just call me BIG PIMPIN!!!!!! :cool2:

10. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    :0a27:
    I think it went something like:

"NOW THE SUN CAME UP HIGH UP OVER THE TREE TOPS,
    AND IT'S GOING TO BE A BEAUTIFUL DAY THAT'S PLAIN TO SEE,
    BUT I WON'T BE AROUND AT ALL-SO DON'T EVEN BOTHER TO CALL,
    BECAUSE ON A DAY LIKE THIS THERE ONE PLACE I'LL RATHER BE,
    GONE FISHING"

Something like that.
    LoL
    I can't go fishing without thinking of it - "Great Song"!

Take it easy gang,
    Bert:cool2: & Shania:0010:

:worship::0a23:
    Bert & "Deltalover"

11. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas

LOL that is an understatement. The rest of those guys at least wait for a commercial break or the actual commercial to sell the product. Roland can't even pick up an item off the deck of his boat without trying to sell it to you!

I don't know why it bothers me, it is really stupid that if does, but it sure makes me change the channel! :roll_eyes:

12. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I cant watch but so much fishing on TV. Its one of those have to be there things for me.
    After watching Bill Dance pull in about the 3rd bass I've had enough.
    From that point on I'm in it for the the commercial value.
    I watch these shows more then anything for boat ideas and to see whats new.

I imagine all of those shows have a marketing strategy and dont go it blind.
    Roland is a character to begin with making him a good salesman.

I'd rather watch Roland pimp then fish unless its the show he went off the bow of the boat to get a huge bass he was fighting untangled from lillypads.

13. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    That is why I can't wait for the catfishing show to start airing. I usually tune in, see what they are fishing for, if it is not catfish, I am outta there.

The only other thing I watch them fish for is that nut who hosts the "Chew on this" show, when they are going after those Goliath Grouper. MAN what a fish!! When I see a man of my size and stature that needs HELP, and a lot of it, to keep the rod from breaking over the bow of the boat, that is a fight worth watching!!

One trip I would like to take before I die is to tangle with one of those beasts. Not to mention you pretty much fish for them just like you would a big ol flatty!:eek:oooh:

Another very entertaining program is watching the blooper real from Bill Dance. I am glad to see even a pro will bust his butt now and then, not just me!

14. bwillaub

bwillaub New Member

State:
    missouri
    I grew up watching Roland and enjoyed it. It's hard to watch anymore tho. I do enjoy watching his son, Scott's show. My favorite is, and has been for a long time, the Lindner's Angling Edge show. It's very informative, not so commercial, and they fish on public waters for all species of fish.

15. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    They are all victims of "Big"money.A sponsor does it so you will sell his product.They arent any different from the NASCAR drivers that jump out of their cars and immediately want to thank,Coke, Pepsi,Shell, Motorcraft, the National Guard,Fedex, Ups,Chevy, Ford, Toyota,Craftsman,Gatorade,Miller Lite, Coors Lite,Tampax and Victoria Secrets!!!!!!!:tounge_out::eek:oooh::smile2:Maybe those last two are from Indy Car HAHAHAHAHAHAHA GO Danica:wink::smile2::roll_eyes:

16. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    Roland is so called retired,but I guess he's just hustlin like every other outdoor tv host. :boss:

17. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Good luck Catfishing America!!! I can't wait to watch it.

18. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I think he increased his pimping after his first wife enpted his pockets, completely.

19. jedt

jedt New Member

State:
    Cameron,Texas
    I like watching all the various species fished for on all the shows. Who knows what ideas one can get from watching others fish for those species that could be used for catfishing. Never hurts to experiment.

20. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    These guys are riding on the coat tales of their long lost brush with fame. Can't really say that I blame them, it must be hard to keep the flame alive.