When did Arkansas quit requiring the "cooling down period" when purchasing handguns?

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARKANSAS TALK' started by Stainless, Feb 2, 2007.

1. Stainless

Stainless Member

State:
    Ft Smith, AR
    I've had my concealed weapons permit for about four years now so I never have to wait for the cooling down period when buying a pistol. I know before I got the license, I had to wait a certain amount of days after I purchased a pistol before I could come pick it up. Is this law no longer in use in Arkansas? The reason I ask is because a friend of mine just went and bought him a new pistol and he didn't have to wait, he immediately took it home with him. So this made me curious to when the law changed to where there was no cool down period. Anyone here familiar with this?

2. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    I live in central AR (51 years) and never knew they had a cool down period in effect in AR, at least not around here, I've never had to wait to pick up a gun, hand gun or long gun. Could it have been a local ordnance in the city you live in?

3. Angelkitty

Angelkitty New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Ar
    Yep what Sam said. I never had to wait either.

4. bmaultbay

bmaultbay New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    I'm from Tennessee, recently purchased a couple new guns myself, walked out of the store with them, my previous purchase took about 24 hours, very quick approval. I questioned the clerk and he said that the Brady bill had expired, therefore the wait period was no longer required. Not certain if that is fact, never bothered to research. Like my new guns.

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Around 1990 or 1991 I bought a new .380 at a gun store and there was no cooling down period then.

6. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Bought my first gun in AR about 12 years ago, no waiting. That was a year or so before CCW permit.

7. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    The Brady bill did indeed expire and while you are making your purchase they will do an insta check to see if you have had any felonies charged to you.
    Most time takes less then 10 min., due to data base the FBI keeps on all felons and this service is avaliable to all gun dealers in the USA.

8. Stainless

Stainless Member

State:
    Ft Smith, AR
    I appreciate the replies guys and gals. I was under the impression that we did have this law but I guess I was mislead at the dealer I purchased the gun from. And to think I've been believing this crap for at least six years. I've never had to wait since then but I always thought it was because of my concealed permit. I guess that gets your around the FBI check which can sometimes take a few days. Thanks for the info as always.