Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know you can catch crappie year round but when in Missouri does fishing pick up? THe problem is I mostly bank fish, and there is still ice around the edges of most lakes, I will be fishing mostly smaller conservation lakes here? So when can I sart fishing with some success in Missouri and with what? Thanks in advance for any help!!!!!!!!!!!! I am really getting the itch to fish!

·
Registered
102 Posts
JD, you can catch them now but if you have to stay with the small lakes you will either have to wait until the water softens up to liquid or go out a few hours early and bust a hole in the ice. The crappies will scatter for a while but if there is some cover there they will return. good luck

·
Registered
4,527 Posts
As a general rule of thumb, crappie start moving into their spawning grounds when the redbuds start to bloom... about the same time as the dog woods. LOL

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yep I watch those redbuds and dogwoods myself ha ha but the major thing I watch for is water temp for the spawn. Here it usually is anywhere around 54 to 58 degrees for the black crappie and a little warmer for white around 62.

·
Registered
14,583 Posts
Yep I watch those redbuds and dogwoods myself ha ha but the major thing I watch for is water temp for the spawn. Here it usually is anywhere around 54 to 58 degrees for the black crappie and a little warmer for white around 62.
I agree with Richard on this. If you have a little patience, you can catch a lot of crappie at Ice Out. You can start now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.