When can I start crappie fishing?

Discussion in 'Crappie Fishing' started by jdmert, Feb 26, 2008.

1. jdmert

jdmert New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I know you can catch crappie year round but when in Missouri does fishing pick up? THe problem is I mostly bank fish, and there is still ice around the edges of most lakes, I will be fishing mostly smaller conservation lakes here? So when can I sart fishing with some success in Missouri and with what? Thanks in advance for any help!!!!!!!!!!!! I am really getting the itch to fish!

2. Catman

Catman New Member

State:
    Randolph, Nebraska
    JD, you can catch them now but if you have to stay with the small lakes you will either have to wait until the water softens up to liquid or go out a few hours early and bust a hole in the ice. The crappies will scatter for a while but if there is some cover there they will return. good luck

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    As a general rule of thumb, crappie start moving into their spawning grounds when the redbuds start to bloom... about the same time as the dog woods. LOL

4. Wichita

Wichita New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Yep I watch those redbuds and dogwoods myself ha ha but the major thing I watch for is water temp for the spawn. Here it usually is anywhere around 54 to 58 degrees for the black crappie and a little warmer for white around 62.

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I agree with Richard on this. If you have a little patience, you can catch a lot of crappie at Ice Out. You can start now.

6. Brent Nickel

Brent Nickel New Member

State:
    Ohio
    If if everything wasn't flooded right now, we would be crappie fishing.

7. Roadkillwarrior

Roadkillwarrior New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I usually do best durring the first two weeks of 60-70 degree weather in the spring. The fish become very active and willing to bite a variety of baits.

8. orion_xxvx

orion_xxvx New Member

State:
    North Central Missouri
    Once the ice is off the muddy lakes or ponds will warm up quicker than the spring fed lakes or deep strip pits about another 3 or 4 weeks ought to do it.