when bow hunting which do you prefer

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by ohiohawghunter45067, Aug 16, 2005.

1. ohiohawghunter45067

ohiohawghunter45067 New Member

State:
    Trenton, Ohio
    do u prefer to use a fixed stand climber stand or justa standard ground blind. personally me i use a summit goliath i goota have room to swing my big gut lol

2. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    I like the portable tree stands over the climbers because a lot of times the prime trees will have too many branches to get a climbing stand up.I do use ground blinds at times but you have the scent issue any time while hunting from the ground.

3. Beastmaster

Beastmaster New Member

State:
    Chrisman Ill.
    I use them all.Climbeing fixed and ground blinds.But some times i just find a stump or a big rock and have a seat.Have shot lots of deer this way.Movement and scent is the key.

4. Ranger Rick

Ranger Rick New Member

Bowhunting in Texas has alot of variables. You use a tripod in alot of areas,especially the hill country where trees dont lend themselves to stands readily.
    I prefer a fixed chain on. I like a wide platform though.
    Ive hunted from ladder stands but seems there is always something in the way of the bow. I ve used compound and Recurve and longbow alike.
    My last shot at a whitetail was on the ground thoguh stlaking so to speak usinga Great Plains Rio Grande Longbow 63# and dang if I didnt blow it. I missed a perfect clasical broadside at 18yds! I shot low and under.
    Guess while practicing angles from stnads it doesnt hurt to warm up on form for thsoe easy shots either!
    What ever stand you do decide to use...get a good harness not ahookie loop around. Youowe to your self and love ones to do so.
    Guys and gals are killin and maiming themselves each year cause they spend more on a stablizer or release than they do ona saftey harness! :cool:

5. cuttingout69

cuttingout69 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I use a lock on stand for all my bow hunting. I have never used a blind. Don't know why, just have never tried it. I like being up high and able to swing my bow where I need it. I will also gun hunt out of my lock ons. I made 5 one season and quite climbing all together. I use a one legged ladder stick. Works good for me.

6. hookeye

hookeye New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I really like my tree lounge, most comfortable stand I've ever spent a day in.

7. SSG Johnson

SSG Johnson New Member

State:
    Saint Robert Missouri
    I use a ground blind a climber and a fix ladder stand and a chain on. To me the situation will dictate it just depends on when and where I am hunting and also what the ground or trees look like that I'm hunting in. I love all of them and to me each has its place. I must add that I bow hunt almost everyday in bow season but became pretty burnt by the time gun season is over and will only hunt a few days after. After gun season I like to use the ground blind just because I'm usually hunting somewhere that i haven't really scouted that much and am tired of hailing my climber around.

8. SSG Johnson

SSG Johnson New Member

State:
    Saint Robert Missouri
    Tony you should give a ground blind a shot I used to think the same way you do until I turkey hunted out of one and seen first hand how the deer reacted to it. ;)

9. cuttingout69

cuttingout69 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Sgt, I have said that I was going to with my childern. Can't they scent you better on the ground though? That is the real reason I like getting high. I will go up 20 to 25'. I work for Teleco and climb poles for a living. The higher the better I have always thought. It would be cool to sit on the ground in a chair and hunt.

10. buzz crackstock

buzz crackstock New Member

State:
    Springfield, IL
    like ssg johnson stated, whatever the situation calls for. I prefer to hunt from a hang on stand but if there are no suitable trees I will use my pop up blind. I also use a climber if I am hunting public or new areas.

11. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    I use a climber 90% of the time.........I hunt public mostly. When I'm not in a stand I prefer to stillhunt with the curve. Plan on getting a pop-up blind this year, but that will be mostly for turkey.

12. cuttingout69

cuttingout69 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I hunt a lot before work in the morning. I have to be able to get in and out of the stand quick so I can make it to work on time. For this reason I can't use a climber any more. Plus I grew a little after getting married and don't fit in the climber as well anymore.

13. SSG Johnson

SSG Johnson New Member

State:
    Saint Robert Missouri
    I havent had a problem with deer smelling me in the pop up blind. Believe it or not. Ive also had coyote come really close while in the blind. It would be perfect to hunt with a kid inside to concell there movement. Heck you could stand up and dance in mine and they wouldnt see you.

14. cuttingout69

cuttingout69 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Guess I will try one this year. I have a 4 year old wanting to go so bad he can't stand it. I don't look to see much with his ability to talk and all. I felt that way last year with my little girl blowing the grunt call too. A nice little 4pt ran right up to us looking like crazy for the other deer. We were in a box stand then. If she could have gotten her finger in the trigger guard, she would have pull the trigger for me. When I told her I would shot it, she climbed on my back trying to watch, tell me the whole time "let me shot it daddy, let me shot." I can't wait for this season.

15. PARATROOPER

PARATROOPER New Member

State:
    Waynesville, IL
    I'm with Buzz on this one...I prefer a comfy hang on stand, but situation always dictates how Im gonna hunt.

16. coalminer78

coalminer78 New Member

State:
    Lincoln, IL
    I hunt on the ground the most, but bought a stand so we will see.

17. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    I use a ground blind a Double Bull T2. It's great and holds all scent in. You shot though the netting. Got several derr with it. Goes up in 6 seconds.

18. VerotiK

VerotiK New Member

State:
    Harrison, Arkansas
    I love my climbing stand. Its an API grandslam stealth. That thing is way comfortable. I built a box stand this year where i had my climbing stand last year so i can take my climbing stand and move around some. We'll see how that goes. I think the higher the better too, if your not afraid of heights.

19. centralcalcat

centralcalcat New Member

State:
    Marion, TX
    I have bowhunted a lot, but rarely from a stand. THe only stand hunting I have done with a bow was froma homemade treestand while bear hunting. I personally though cannot imagine in most of the stuations that I have been in to hunt from a ground blind, too much cover and too little manuverbility.

The area i have hunted all my life is ALaska, so it very well could be different down here for different situations.

20. centralcalcat

centralcalcat New Member

State:
    Marion, TX
    ssg Johnson,

That looks like a nice buck, good luck this season.