When are the flathead catfish going to pick up?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by catpound, Aug 24, 2006.

1. catpound

catpound New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I've been fishing about every other night. I live in central Illinois and have not been having any luck. Seems like everyone I see out are not having any luck either. The place I fish is lake Charleston which is natorious for big flats and other cats. Is the fall fiest gonna be pushed all the way back deep into September or any time at all?

2. bigcat_chaser

bigcat_chaser New Member

State:
    Cincy, Ohio
    Feeding fest is poised to happen will really pick up as temps begin to fall at night dropping water temps then hang on if current weather trends hold should be in full swing by second week of september :smile2:

3. jruckman41

jruckman41 New Member

State:
    west virginia
    i'm from wheeling wv it seems like they are starting to hit.

4. bigcatJoe

bigcatJoe New Member

State:
    indiana
    It seems to me people has been catching a few lately.

5. Crackr

Crackr New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Eric, I'm with ya. I wnt to a different spot on my local river last night that word has it is yielded huge flatheads. After 8 hours and 4 thunderstorms, all I caught was a gar on creekchub. I still think the best time is yet to come. Don't give up, you ain't alone!!

6. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I caught my first 2 flatheads of the year just the other evening. So I assume they are starting to pick up some. They weren't hogs, but they were flatties. I did notice that they seemed to hit the bigger bluegills I had for bait, the 5-6" fat gills, but any of the thin 3-4" bluegills they wouldnt hit, so maybe they are out looking for big meals. I agree with everyone though on the temps to fall and stay lower. This whole week and into next the highs are running in the 80 degree range and 60 degree range for the low around here. And the rain we are getting now certainly won't do any harm:wink: .