When a dog gives birth

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by james_s333, Feb 13, 2007.

1. james_s333

james_s333 New Member

State:
    byesville,ohio
    does anyone know what i should look for in a dog when she is ready to give birth...i guess i want to know how will i know when my dog is getting ready to give birth?

2. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Cant remember the gestation period 52 days maybe.That would only help if you knew when she got pregnant.She will get restless and start wandering around looking for a place to make her "Nest".If she is inside then confine her to one room and provide her with some old blankets , quilts whatever and she will make her own.If she is outside then I dont know but she will need some clean birthing material like blankets etc.If this is her first time she won't necessarily know what to do right away.I presided at our Irish Setters first litter and she was actually standing when the first pup came.She didnt know what to do so I cut the umbilical cord ,got it out of the sack ,made her lie down and she of course licked it and got it going etc.After that she had a pretty good handle on things and managed ok with my help.10 pups is a lot and they keep coming even after the first few are all settled down on a nipple.I'm sure she appreciated the help and I didn't let her eat the sacks other than the first two which stimulates the milk flow.Those pups were the biggest source of wonder for my spouse ,myself and our 2 young sons.It was like losing family members as each was sold,and the third degree each potential buyer got from my wife was a sight to behold.We didn't care about price only that they had a good responsible home.Good luck:smile2:

3. james_s333

james_s333 New Member

State:
    byesville,ohio
    this will be her second litter.....i mated her one the 5th,6th,and 7th of jan.....she is acting funny wont eat,puking and as you said like restless but uncomfortable....she is alot larger then the first time and i know it is alittle early for the pups to come...but i dont know if that is what if happening or she is comming down with something

4. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    You need to be talking to a Vet. It's way too early for the pups.

You might get some advise that although has good intentions, is all wrong.

5. troyedm

troyedm New Member

State:
    edmond oklahoma
    we raise dachsunds. we give more away than we sell. started out as a "we need a puppy to replace our older mick dog". then my sister asked if we would adopt a dachsund from a dachsund home in texas. we did, now we have two females. they come in heat every 6 months, and get bred every year. this is our 4th year. they gestate in 8 weeks +/- a week either way. molly starts whining about three days prior to delivery and darcie just gets excited about two days prior. we use computer boxes cut in half with old towels for a birthing den. we change the towels after birthing then as needed then once the pups are weined we wash the towels for the next time. they do need to eat one or to of the sacs. we make sure everyone who would like one(especialy people with kids and older folks) get one, then we put the others up for sale. ours are all registered, but we do not give papers with them, but we do sell them cheap ($100). we had one lady call who was on a fixed income and wondered if we would take $50 for one. i had my wife call her back and give her one. dachsunds are great company and the most forgiving dog i know of. they are hard headed though and smart. if you are in the oklahoma area and would like a dachsund send me a pm. there is no greater joy than seeing a child with that puppy in their hand, and that lasts longer than the money.

6. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    If she discharges a green mucus she is starting the Birth process,also if you notice that she begins panting heavily she is in labor. I was up all night with my little dog as it was her first litter and she had no idea what to make of the situation. Consequently she wouldn't get down off my lap and her pups were born in my lap. One of the most precious things I have ever seen!:big_smile:

7. james_s333

james_s333 New Member

State:
    byesville,ohio
    well....she has a green discharge and she is holding milk i hope when we had her and the other boxer together he got her if not it had to be one of my pitbulls.....cause i put them to mate in the house those three days....hopefully it isnt a gonna be a early litter i dont know what to expect now

.......but thanks to everyone for your info i called a vet today and i have to take her in tomorrow if she doesnt have them so he can look at her

8. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

James, I'm glad you are going to the vet tomorrow, because this doesn't make any sense. The gestation period is 61-63 days (two months)....if one of your pitbulls got to her around THREE weeks before Jan 4,5,6 (when you bred her) she wouldn't have been in heat anymore at that point. Did you SEE them get together? When you had the stud there? Usually after a female gets pregnant, the blood flow stops in approximately three days, or that has been my experience. I have been breeding Golden Retrievers for ten years. If she's pregnant by the boxer stud, it's WAY too soon and she could be losing them. I hope you get good news at the vet's office tomorrow.