When a big flathead catfish runs

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by AZflats, Oct 2, 2006.

1. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Is it true? Can you tell if it is going to be a large cat verses a small cat based on the speed of the initial run?

~ From my experience~
    A large flathead cat~ over twenty pounds will pick up the bait and stroll away usually slowly..
    A small flatty or a channel will grab it and speed away. (Usually giving me a mild heart attack when the bait click sounds off.)

~ Whenever I hear the bait click going slow, I prepare myself for a fight~

** The big cat in my Avatar was real eerie.. Tick, tick, tick, tick, tick, tick...

Can anyone else relate to this?

2. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    yeah i can , thats been my experience

3. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    From my experience, the bigger flatheads will just "slurp" up the bait and slowly move away. While the smaller ones really aggressively attack the baoit and swim off faster.

4. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I think the smaller fish may have company so when it finds food it wants to get it away from other fish on the other hand when a big fish has your bait he doesn't see a need to be in a hurry.

This is a 100% sure for a fact total guess.

5. bro_catfish

bro_catfish New Member

State:
    Ohio ,Coshocton County
    that makes good sence to me

6. FWFeecherman

FWFeecherman New Member

State:
    Indiana
    For the most part I think thats true. I think the depth of the water plays a part as well. I notice when Im fishing a shallower spot in the river the big ones seem to scream steadily away. If its deeper water though they seem to creep away. The small ones seem to go pretty quick. All I know for sure if the clicker going off is one of the sweetest sounds in the world!!!!:big_smile:

7. catchaser1

catchaser1 New Member

State:
    Anderson S.C.
    I agree with you. Its always a tell tell sign thats it a nice flathead when he strolls away with that slow click. Dont yall just love to hear that!:tounge_out:

8. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    Ahhh, The clicker!

Wheelmobile07

9. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    Well I agree 100 percent with all of you except when a turtle is on he likes to act just like a flathead that is until you set the hook then you are just dragging a big weight in the water.

10. serb

serb New Member

State:
    Drexel Hill, PA
    How much did that thing weigh?

11. maddcatter

maddcatter New Member

State:
    Newark, Oh
    Almost all the flatheads I catch run it slow. I did have a 17lber a couple of weeks ago, run my bait fast, but not as fast as a channel.

12. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    From my experiance it has been the same way.....

13. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Grand River Valley, Weste
    My experience is 100% with yours- slow = big, fast = small.
    Of course, slow also can = turtle, and fast also can = gar!

14. upncomincatfishking

upncomincatfishking New Member

State:
    Cheviot Ohio
    teah thats been my experience every 20lb an over i've caught moved off slow with it.

15. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I don't fish for flatheads but the blues are the same way. Hearing that clicker is the most addicting sound I know.

16. FlatheadMan

FlatheadMan New Member

State:
    Freedom,Pa
    Thats mostly true for me also but then Ill get that big one that will just take off screaming the bait clicker and you think its a smaller fish and then its back to the drawing board.

17. usmc0208

usmc0208 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    It always seems to be the small ones that hit and run for me.

18. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    I agree, small ones seem to hit alot harder, but I have had big ones run hard. The livelier the bait the harder the big ones hit, in my experience. But big blues seem to just hammer it with reckless abandon, so when that clicker takes off I just hope it's a big blue and not a flattie or channel!

19. ike whitson

ike whitson New Member

State:
    ariz/northwest
    Yeah sound's about the same way they hit me. Another thing the big cat's seem to do is grab the bait then stop (sometimes!!), and turn the bait in there mouth so it goes down head first,and then take off on there run.That second or two is darn hard not to grab the rod and try and pull thier eye's out!!, but you have to let them start running or you'll more than likely pull the bait right out of thier mouth. That's been my experience anyhow.

Also thinking about Bartlett this week's end.And by the way what kind of scale did you get for your boat:haha: :haha: :haha:

20. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    I got a 110 lb COFFE GAME SCALE..
    The thing is awsome.. I am going to send it to IGFA to get it certified..
    * Hopefully there will be a next time!