Wheels for a Jon Boat

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by DANZIG, Jun 13, 2007.

1. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Looking a little rough, spent the winter outside.

Does it get more red-neck than this?:big_smile:

Two old 20 in bicycles cut at the seat post, 2x2s, U bolts, and an "all thread" rod. Maybe $20.

Works like this.. The Jon boat goes dry side up on the 2x2s just aft of the middle of the boat, two 1 inch ratchet straps secure her to the wheels.
    All your gear goes into the boat and the whole kit and caboodle becomes a cart to getcha to the water with out carrying.

One man operation! And now you know why I put the grab handles on her!

Proper steel angle and a bit of welding would make this much better.

Attached Files:

2. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    I love it!
    !!!!!!!!!!!

3. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Thanks! A bit wobbly but it works well.

4. BAMA_CAT

BAMA_CAT New Member

State:
    Boaz,ALABAMA
    LOOKS GREAT!!!!!! LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT!!!!!

5. jeremy0000

jeremy0000 New Member

State:
    FLORIDA
    Pretty neat! I like low cost innovation.

6. porboy

porboy New Member

State:
    TX Panhand
    Hey, I like it. Being a old Mother Earther I like the low cost ideas using old things that would be hauled off to the landfill.
    Bill

7. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel New Member

State:
    NC
    Back in the 70's I built a two wheel cart for my Bass Hunter one man boat out of bicycle wheels. The cart was built like an oversize rickshaw. With the Bass Hunter loaded on the cart with battery, trolling motor, rods, tackle, and six pack cooler I could pull it almost anywhere you could walk. Most of my two dozen farm ponds I fished where from 3 yards to 250 yards from the road so it got a lot of use. I used it just like a boat trailer to launch the little boat even on steep banks.

Still a good idea 37 years latter.

LOL

:cool2:

8. wildusaf

wildusaf New Member

State:
    SC
    i did something similar years ago. i had a 10 ft jon boat and i got 2 of the large lawn mower wheels, about 14-16" in diameter and ffixed them with a 4 ft threaded rod across the bow of the jon on the underside where the bottow curves up. when the boat sat flat on the ground the wheels just barely kept the bottom of boat an inch off the ground. i could then load all gear and grab the handles on the stern and lift it up and roll it like a wheel barrow. while the boat was n plane (3 hp motor) the wheels would ride up out of te water. worked like champ.

9. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    we used just the front forks off two bikes and welded a 1 inch tubing accross from fork to fork then up the middle of that tube with one around a foot longer than the john boat and also put in a front cross tube back from the T handle about three foot back. (a bigger version of a deer drag cart). worked great