Wheeler/Wilson dam

Discussion in 'ALABAMA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Ruffneck, Dec 7, 2006.

1. Ruffneck

Ruffneck New Member

State:
    De Soto, Missouri
    Some friends and I are planning trip to Joe Wheeler State Park in late march or so. Am wondering about getting bait that time of year and methods. fish on the Mississippi south of st louis castnetting shad is our main method. any info would be greatly appreciated

2. superman

superman New Member

State:
    DeSoto MO
    we got no help so far ben hopefully will get some info soon ( this is your little brother by the way )

3. rwilley3

rwilley3 New Member

State:
    Brighton, Tenne
    Somebody will probably chime in just not many people fishing right now I guess. I would think you would be able to catch skipjack on several jigs tied onto your line or sabaki rigs by late March for sure in the tailrace below the dam. We can usually get them at Pickwick which is the next dam downstream from there by that time of year.

4. dinger66

dinger66 New Member

State:
    north alabama
    shad or skipjack will or should \have been whaen i have gone. as far as catching skip use bright colored crappie jigs.if all else fails go to a place called fishermans resort they will point you in the right direction.oh yes fish he boxs when they turn the turbaines off it is no holds bared catfishing.

5. dinger66

dinger66 New Member

State:
    north alabama
    forgot to tell everyone the cabins at wheeler are a great place to stay ,like 65.00 per night.up to 12 people in a cabin

6. bamacatman

bamacatman New Member

State:
    alabama
    hey ive always used a throw net for shad look for the shad surfacing and approach them slowly with a trolling motor when u get close enough throw your net right on top of em youll get some. may take some practice if your not used to it though.

7. Krauseb

Krauseb New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I catch all my Skipjack using a curly tailed grub (usually white) about 18" under a weighted bobber. Just cast and retrieve off the bank. Most of the time they are between 8" - 13".

I don't have a casting net so I can't put in my $0.02 there.

Good luck when you go and let us know how it turned out for ya.