Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Dave from ohio
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my way back from wheeler. We had a tough trip. Extreme cold front, wind, and flooding, and debris is what greeted us. We made the best out of a bad situation, fished deep, fished shallow, drifted. Caught a 25 lb. Flathead, and 45 lb blue the first day, then struggled the next three days, caught a few eaters. Then the last night landed the boats heaviest fish to ever come in it, an 86 lb. Blue.
20210404_202920.jpg

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
86 beats my PB by 24 lbs. congrats. Wish you could have gotten more numbers to go with it but I am impressed. When you get all rested up from the trip I would be interested in a little story line on how you came about getting him in the boat.

·
Registered
Steven from Georgia
957 Posts
Holy cow look at the length on that thing! Congrats.

I always say it only takes one bite to turn a trip around.

Reactions: SteveMcK

·
Registered
Dave from ohio
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, as soon as it hit the bottom of the boat, I knew it was the biggest I had personally seen. I wish we could have gotten a measurement on it, was much longer than the seventy pounders I have landed in the past. That lake is incredible. We caught eight flatheads total, with the biggest 25#, but last year we boated a 48# flat, and I have seen pics of much bigger. Guess I have to set my sights on 90# now. Will be tough to do, but I look forward to trying. The regs. in alabama are working, along with anglers releasing big fish, cause there is plenty of fishing pressure on cats down there. I hope everyone gets to experience it, to see what a well managed fishery can be.

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
.......The regs. in alabama are working, along with anglers releasing big fish, cause there is plenty of fishing pressure on cats down there. I hope everyone gets to experience it, to see what a well managed fishery can be.
Yep, you are correct about the pressure but with management not only by the DNR but anglers as well, it can stay a great fishery.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts