Wheeler (TN River) Fishing Report

Discussion in 'MEMBER FISHING REPORTS (BECOME A FISHING LEGEND)' started by stumpjumper, Nov 10, 2008.

1. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    My wife and I decided to head west into AL to scout some promising sections of Wheeler Lake (TN River) and check out some of the local campgrounds this past weekend. First off, the tree colors were outstanding! We really enjoyed some of the great Fall colors, which won't be around much longer.

We ended up fighting the wind more than we did catfish. The wind was a HUGE pain in the butt. In fact, on Sat. we left the water early to enjoy a nice campfire and cook some cheese dogs. Even at camp we had to park the truck and boat to block the wind. We had hopes that the wind would die down for Sun. No such luck.

Overall, I was impressed with the section we scouted. It was frustrating not to be able to fish it like we wanted to though. We ended up with several Blues under 15 lbs. The highlights were a jumbo 20 lb. Drum and a beautiful 15 lb. Flathead.

The water temp. was still in the low 60s and most fish were caught in 40 feet of water on cutbait. It's getting colder though....

Attached Files:

2. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    As the old saying goes. A bad day fishing is better than a good day at work.
    Sounds like some fish were found, And a great time had.
    Glad to hear the water temp is falling. Sounds like its about time to start winter fishing for catfish and sauger.:smile2:
    Pete

3. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Sounds like a great weekend! I love being able to do the things I love (catfishing) with my wife! Anytime I can get her out on the water with me is icing on the cake! Way to go!

4. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Congrats on getting out on the water. I must admit, I have never heard of a 20 pound drum, thanks for the photo

5. dinger66

dinger66 New Member

State:
    north alabama
    hey buddy anytime you want to come to wheeler let me know it is home water for me and iam always looking for a reason to go fishin just give me a pm ill give you my number.

6. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    Hey, that would be awesome Derric, thanks!

7. dinger66

dinger66 New Member

State:
    north alabama
    i didnt catch anything sat maybe you can teach me something lol

8. j.bridges

j.bridges Active Member

State:
    arab,alabama
    Thanks for the report Marc.....I believe the way the picture looks you where on upper wheeler? closer to guntersville dam....I wished I had known.... I live about 10mins away.... next time give me a shout...p.s.can you give me a skipjack report????:wink:

9. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Marc you done did agian!

10. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Its always nice to fish some new water, even if the wind is a pain. I can't stand an upstream or crossriver wind when I'm tryin' to anchor. Sounds promising for future trips for y'all though. I'll be tryin' my luck at the usual places tomorrow. Nice report and pics!

11. SHE-CAT

SHE-CAT New Member

State:
    Dallas, Georgia
    Yes, it was very pretty. The wind was not fun though.

12. healthydrink

healthydrink New Member

State:
    OKLAHOMA
    NICE!!! ENOUGH SAID!!!

13. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Sounds like Marc & Tricia found another great spot! :big_smile: Too bad the wind made things tough on you two but looks like you still managed some nice fish! Thanks for the report and pics! Keep them coming! :cool2:

14. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Nice catch, unfortunately here in PA mother nature has stopped me from catching anything with whiskers.

15. kat crazy

kat crazy New Member

State:
    tenn.
    u steel around wheeler now , i havent been on here in long time , bad year 4 me . its cold now ye at me , like to to talk