wheeler lake

Discussion in 'ALABAMA RIVER TALK' started by molly, Jun 19, 2009.

1. molly

molly New Member

State:
    mississippi
    I started fishing wheeler lake last year. I had great results from july to august catching big blue cats. But the month of may and june seems to have me stumped I can catch plenty of small cats 3-20 lbs. but no big ones. should I be fishing deep like july out in the main river or should I shallow up and move back in some of the coves? I'm planning on going tomorrow evening any help would be greatly appreciated!!

2. whiskman

whiskman New Member

State:
    alabama
    is that close to joe wheeler state park, or is this a different wheeler? i'm from athens al and i'm trying to find a good place to catch monster fish around here

3. ppeete

ppeete New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Anybody have some tips for fishing around Decatur. Made up ten pool noodle jugs to take the kids jugging. Been twice and havent caught squat.

Tried lye soap, shrimp and thawed shad. fished East of Decatur bridge around meow mix and then east of limestone creek.

Any help would be appreciated. Like the kids to actually catch something to keep their interest

Thanks

4. whiskman

whiskman New Member

State:
    alabama
    I didn't know you could noodle around there, i go fishing at cowfort(sp) which is west of the decatur bridge and if you go out on a boat in front of the towers a little ways in the channel you can catch some pretty big catfish.

5. ppeete

ppeete New Member

State:
    Alabama
    thanks for the info

6. Fletcher

Fletcher New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I too will be fishing wheeler for the first time on thanksgiving wknd. Going after the big cats. Will be staying at Joe wheeler state park. Anyone that could give me some pointers on locations would be greatly appreceiated. All I have is the DecaturSports.com fishing map. If anyone could help me with references on this map my boys and I might have a great trip.

Thanx Ron