Wheel bearings?

Discussion in 'Boating' started by wolfman, Jul 24, 2007.

1. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    how often do you grease your wheel bearings on your boat trailer? Which is the best grease to use?

2. DetectDave

DetectDave New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I repack mine at least once a year and shoot a shot into my bearing buddies about once a month or so. I let mine go 1 year in between last year and they were rusted this year even w/ buddy bearings.

3. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Dave, welcome to the B.O.C., best catfishing community on the planet.

4. Localhero813

Localhero813 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    i redid mine last week and they obvously hadnt been done in awhile. i put all new bearings front and back on both sides . iused marene grade grease that i bought at wally world:cool2:

5. primitive

primitive Member

State:
    Dav. Ia.
    I did a little boat - trailer swaps this year and noticed one common fact. The bearing Buddys are great for getting grease into the outer bearings, BUT, the grease does not get to the inner bearings. I found the trailers from people who said that they pumped the bearing buddies each month - The outer ones were good while the inner bearings were completely shot.

6. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    That is a great point Ron.We as Americans have always looked for the easy way and Bearing Buddies etc represent a way around the nasty job of repacking.You should get the hubs off once a year and repack PERIOD.More often if you are in salt water much.I use AMSOIL synthetic grease and will always go to the synthetic option if I have a choice.I have my brake pads replaced once a year and the bearings repacked ,replaced or both at the same time.I know there are plenty of you out there that will say "I shoot grease into my buddies every trip and havent had any trouble for years"Good for you,but if you havent seen those bearings recently I feel I'll see you along the road somewhere usually putting out a wheel fire.Just take the time before hand and you wont have any problem.One thing I found out after 24 years of being a Tanker in the US Army is that whenever I took steps to prevent things I never had a problem.I also carry a complete hub assembly(Pre greased) with me and I also check the air pressure regularly on the trailer spare.:smile2::big_smile:So far so good!!!!!!!

7. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Dave Welcome to the BOC.Thanks for sharing some good info. I totally remove and repack each spring and add new seals. Keep a close watch on the bearing buddies and grease often.:big_smile: