Wheel Bearings part II

Discussion in 'Boat Repair Help' started by cook, Sep 7, 2006.

1. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    I have an old 4 wheel trailer that has 3 wheels locked up.I assume the bearings are bad.It has been sitting for over a year.

I just spent the last hour reading all the posts on how to repair/repack/replace them.Great info,good job by Drawout also.

Now my stupid question of the day.

How do I know what type of bearings to buy?Are they all the same type or size?

It would be nice to just once to not hand it to the counterman and say"I need a new one of these":embarassed: :embarassed:

2. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    Thats what those guys behind the counter are for. I'd do it and not think twice about it. Just tell em they are for a trailer.

3. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    That's easy... tell him you need 3 of one of these...:lol:
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    All I want is more than my fair share.

4. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    There should be a number on the side of the bearings. Take this to a part store and they will fix you up.... it is something like 1104223. Any how, thats how it is done. LOL While your at it, replace both races, inner and outer bearings, and the grease seals. Do the job just once.

5. three_rivers

three_rivers New Member

State:
    Tupelo Ar
    Just packed the bearings on the boat. You'll need to take the bearings inners/outers, races and seal with you. All i needed was a seal, had the numbers and all, they couldn't cross it so we had to measure it with a micrometer and get a match for it.

6. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    thanks,guys.

Gimme all I need is what I'll say!!:lol:

7. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Hey Jon, A buddy called me yesterday to tell me about changing the bearings on his trailer. He lost the dust cover (cap?) and was having trouble finding one. Someone told him to go to a local trailer manufacturer and not only did they have them for 70 cents he got the hub, bearings, races, and seals there. He got the whole deal for 16 dollars. I couldn't believe it. If you've got a trailer building company around you ought to check with them to see what the parts will cost.

st