Wheel bearing help!

Discussion in 'Boat Repair Help' started by waynesburgjay, Apr 1, 2008.

1. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I have to replace some wheel bearings on a boat trailer I'm getting this weekend.
    The boat has been sitting for about 4 years.
    I guess I can get the parts at an auto parts store.
    Will I need to take the old bearings out and take them to the store or can I take a measurement and go from there?
    What about cost? I'm just doing 2 wheels, might have to buy tires too.
    Thanks in advance for any help.

2. handyronokc

handyronokc New Member

State:
    Oklahoma ( Central )

Wheel bearing kits at Acadamy and Bass Pro shops( oklahoma city) ( Bearings, seals, and cotter pin, for 1 side) about $10,,,, I have only seen 2 different sizes for the average boat related axle.

3. randallewis

randallewis New Member

State:
    Louisiana --Shreveport
    There will be a number on the back of the bearing. You have to have a match. The number indicates whether its a 1" or ! 1/16" spindel.

4. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Check your hubs over carefully for cracks.
    That would be the most expensive part to replace. Bearings are little cost.

If it were me I would keep a spare hub and spare bearing in the tow vehicle when I pulled the boat.
    On the side of the road with everything closed is one time too many to be in that situation.

5. Moose1

Moose1 New Member

State:
    STEUB, OHIO
    JUST BECAUSE IT HAS BEEN SETING, DOES NOT MEAN U HAVE TO CHANGE BEARINGS. MIGHT HAVE TO REPACK THEM AND CHECK OTHER PARTS WHILE U HAVE IT A PART.
    WHAT SIZE TIRES ARE ON IT??
    SAMS CLUB HAD SOME NICE PRICES ON TIRES RIMS AND ALL LAST TIME I WAS THERE.
    MOOSE

6. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I'm not sure what size tires I got . But I'll check out Wal-Mart

7. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Probally one of the best places to find trailer bearings and hubs is at an agri business such as Agri Supply. Many of these places can supply you every thing you need to build a trailer down to the fenders and the prices are usually lower then you'll find anywhere else because they dont buy a case of bearings or hubs, they buy crates of bearings and hubs.
    I replaced the springs , shackles, bolts, Ubolts for a tandem axle trailer for around 100 bucks.

My closest Napa store is in a agricultural town. They are heavy into seals and bearings. Just bought a set of of rear wheel bearings for a 4-wheel drive for 15 a piece. Chevrolet wanted 60 a piece. Autozone wanted 28 a piece.

8. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Thanks again for all the help. I appreciate it.

9. bobs bait

bobs bait New Member

State:
    north carolina
    hey i found if you have a norther tool store you can get hub and all for like 20 to 30 dollars time you buy the bearings seals and grease this is all ost as cheap i then keep my old hub for a spare if i need it the lazy way put it is faster bob

10. Defiant

Defiant New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I generally get my bearing's at NAPA or Advance but I wa in Tractor supply the other day and saw that they had the complet set of bearing's to do 1 side of the trailer including the seal's for around $15.00 not sure of the brand but not to bad a price.

11. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    i got two sets last season from walmart for $10 or so. i had to pack 2 that were rusted out on an old boat trailer i turned into a logsplitter. 1" axles. most walmarts and farm stores like mark said carry these. its the size of axle you need to knoe. pop off dust cover and check the diam or spindle before ya go. get some good avle grease and pack them bearings till it squirts out the other side before ya put em back in. make sure races set good too.