Wheel Bearing Help - Please

Discussion in 'Boat Repair Help' started by JRA, Oct 8, 2006.

1. JRA

JRA New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I am getting ready to go on a long planned fishing trip with my nephew and was greasing my wheel bearings. Unfortunatly, while I was greasing one of the wheels, the fitting (nipple) just broke off. The fitting is on a 2006 Tracker trailer. I have no information about the system other than I know it is not a Bearing Buddy. There is a grease nipple protruding out of the bearing housing and a removable rubber seal over the fitting. My question is can I still use the trailer. Will the grease stay in the bearing? Will water contaminate the bearing when I launch? I hate to cancel thr trip over the trailer bearings; this is the only time my nephew can go. But I don't want to be stranded on the road either. The trip to the lake is about 90 miles.

I would appreciate very much your advice,
    Jeff

2. Doctor

Doctor Member

State:
    Springfield, Ohio
    Sounds like you have the same system that I have on my Trailer called Saftey Lube, the axle is drilled so the grease goes into the front and rear of both bearings and the old grease is pushed out just above where you grease them at you can remove the broken grease zerk with a small easy out, should be threaded into the face of the shaft, then you can install a new grease zerk.........Doc

3. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Your fitting is in the axle hub. Shoots grease up between the bearings.

Try taking off the bearing cover and getting the broke fitting out and replacing it. A very small easy out would do it, or a tiny screw driver jammed into the broke fitting and unscrew it.

Go to the parts store and buy a replacement fitting.

4. three_rivers

three_rivers New Member

State:
    Tupelo Ar
    My backtrack trailer is set up similar. Simple fix. On mine i used a rubber mallet to tap the dust cover off ( it has a rubber seal in the middle). Then you could use a ease out and put in a new zerk and you'll be good to go...

As for it hurting it, i don't see why it would, thats as long as it took grease before breaking the zerk off and the rubber seal is in good shape. No longer than it would take to fix, i'd fix it.

5. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Well, you got 3 answers in a few minutes, telling you the same thing. I know what I'd do after that.

6. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    Ditto, the only thing that I can add is this, If a parts store is not close by then take the bearings out & repack them by hand (old fashioned method). Then deal with the problem later, perhaps there will be a parts store somewhere in your path to your fishing spot, BE SURE To stop & get what you need then :wink:

7. slickrick

slickrick New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I agree with the gang, check your hubs half way there and back. Shake the wheel, if the there's play in them take the bearing covering off and remove the cotter key. Tightened the castelated nut until your tire won't move and back off nut until you can spin tire freely and reinsert cotter pin in nearest hole, lol!:eek:oooh: