Wheatland Fishing Has No Boundaries

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by Calvin, Sep 12, 2009.

1. Calvin

Calvin New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I'm looking for some local BOC members interested in helping out with this year's Fishing Has No Boundaries. This is a nation-wide non profit organization that provides a fishing and camping experience for those with disabilities. This year's event will be held September 24-27 on Bluestem Point at ElDorado Lake. We are especially in need of boats. This event , for those who might not know, is a weekend of camping and fishing. The participants are all disabled in one way or another. There are people of all ages, including a lot of veterans with disabilities. Most local business' donate equipment and prizes. There is a raffle for a hog and a BBQ served Saturday evening and a dance Saturday night. Breakfast and lunch is provided for participants and volunteers Saturday and Sunday. We also try to help with gas for boats as much as we can and local bait shops provide minnows and worms. We fish all day Saturday and one-half day Sunday. Sunday, after lunch, we award prizes and awards. This will be my fourth year of helping and it is one of the most satisfying things I do. For most of us on the BOC going fishing is just a matter of jumping in the truck and heading to the lake or river. For many people with disabilities this is their only chance all year to even see the lake. They are the most appreciative people I've ever been around. Last year my boat brought in a 50 pound flathead and the reception we received was like we'd just won the SuperBowl.
    You don't have to have a boat to help. We need help with loading boats, helping on boats and cleaning fish and just general particpation. I'm not a very good salesman but this is something well worth the effort I believe. If you can help out, even for a day or part of a day, I promise you won't regret it. If you have an interest let me know and I'll make another post outlining details ect.

2. Backlashed

Backlashed New Member

State:
    Derby, Kansas
    Calvin, I can't make any commitment until I find out if I have to work or not, but I'd be honored to help out if I can. I've been out there before when the event was going on, and we could tell from a distance EVERYONE was having fun.

3. Calvin

Calvin New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Ray, we'd love to have you. We are in dire need of pontoon boats. We've got committments from as far away as Tulsa and Topeka. There are a lot of boats from the Frontier refinery and the contractors. But we are starting our big turnaround that weekend and many of us will be working instead of fishing. I'll PM you some more information if you like.

4. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Calvin thats a real good thing you and others do down there. If I could make it I would. Good look to you all, I really hope you all have a great time. :big_smile:

5. Backlashed

Backlashed New Member

State:
    Derby, Kansas
    Calvin, even if I can make it physically, I'll find some way to contribute. PM me your info, and I'll see what we can do. I may be in Texas that week, so just not sure if I can be there.

6. rwg

rwg New Member

State:
    WICHITA, KANSAS
    Calvin, i can provied a boat for saturday the 26th, i have a lund that will
    carry 2 and me, get me some details and lets see if we can make this work rwg

7. Calvin

Calvin New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Thank you Ray & Roger. Saturday is the main day and that will help a lot. We will be meeting at Bluestem Point about 7:30 AM. Follow the signs. Just go like you were taking your boat to the north ramp and turn west where the crosses are on the hill by the ramp. The campsite is right over that hill. There we are given boat numbers and the boats are inspected for safety ect. You can eat breakfast also if you're hungry. There will be tables to help sign us up and determine how many we can safely handle in our boats. Depending upon the disability, most bass boats and walleye boats can handle a couple of the less handicapped people. My pontoon usually has four to six, depending upon how many are using wheelchairs. Some require an attendant to accompany them, usually on the pontoons. We are installing a special boat dock at the campsite that allows us to load all the passengers right there. When we load we will be given bait (minnows and worms)and coolers of water. The boat captain is who determines how and where you fish. You can probably guess what my boat fishes for and how. I plan on dumping some chum and catching channel cats. They usually aren't real big but they offer plenty of action for the fishermen. All poles and tackle are provided. However, I usually furnish my own bait and tackle because what they provide isn't worth a hoot for catfish. It only costs me a few dollars to get the right things and they enjoy the trip much more.
    We come in at noon for lunch (provided by FHNB) and then fish until about 5 PM before coming in. We fish half a day on Sunday and then award prizes after lunch (provided).Safety is the main focus at the event. If the weather is bad we won't go out. If you know of anyone, boat or not, who would like to help out we have plenty of things to do to make this a great weekend for those less fortunate. When I meet some of the participants and take them out on the lake I am always humbled by their positive outlook on life and appreciation for the really important things I sometimes catch myself taking for granted. My cell phone number is 734-9326. Ray if you can get out of your office sometime tomorrow give me a shout and I'll bring you out a packet. Roger, if you happen to be fishing this weekend give me a shout and I'll look you up too. Thank you very much for anything you can do.

8. DOUBLEL

DOUBLEL New Member

State:
    KANSAS CITY KS
    You mentioned it in your post. What exactly is a safe boat? Do you need the kill switch? Any other requirements? I have an older bass boat not to fishing friendly but might motivate me to finish the from deck mod. Let me know on the kill switch deal not sure how

9. Backlashed

Backlashed New Member

State:
    Derby, Kansas
    Calvin, if you have any fliers get me a couple of those too, and I'll post them in the plant. I should be able to slip out of there one of these afternoons this week, or swing by after work. I'll give you a call when I get free. Things are finally picking up, now we're short handed, so I've been chasing my tail all month.

Are ya catchn any fish? I haven't been to the lake since the gathering.

10. Calvin

Calvin New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Lloyd, they just inspect the boat to make sure it meets the requirements of the KDWP. I think the requirements are a little different for different sizes of boats. My pontoon boat has to have a horn, life jackets, and legal numbers and stickers ect. For this event they just want to make sure the boat is seaworthy and legally safe to transport passengers with disabilities.

11. Calvin

Calvin New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Sorry, I forgot about the kill switch. I'll have to check on that. I have one on my boat and haven't given it much thought. If it is required by KDWP it would be required for this also.

12. Calvin

Calvin New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Ray, I have plenty of information on it and will gladly bring it out. Just give me a shout whenever you can and if I'm not in one of my meetings I'll run out there. I get off at 4PM but have a FHNB meeting tomorrow evening at 5. But if you call I'll make it a point to find you. Thanks

13. Backlashed

Backlashed New Member

State:
    Derby, Kansas
    You are welcome to stop by the shop any time you're out and about Calvin. I'm in the small building on the corner across the street from the plant. Just come in the OH door, and ask for me. shop # 322-0123

14. Calvin

Calvin New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I have your cell phone number Ray. I'll be going out to SW Valve tomorrow and I'll call you first to see if we can hook up. Is there any time of day that is better for you?

15. Backlashed

Backlashed New Member

State:
    Derby, Kansas
    I should be there all day, just stop in any time. I'm there 7 to 3:30.
    I don't have a cell any more.

I might slip out for lunch from 1 to 1:30

Last edited: Sep 15, 2009
  16. rwg

rwg New Member

State:
    WICHITA, KANSAS
    Calvin, i will provide my own tackel, and bait also. If your going to chum I may follow you. I have plenty of rods and stuff, if by chance someone in my boat gets hold of a good one I want them to get it in. I'm looking foreward to doing this I always wanted to guide so nows my chance:big_smile:

17. Calvin

Calvin New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Roger, you're more than welcome to set up with me and see what we can chum up. I'll PM some more information when it gets a little closer. I promise you the guests you will have in your boat will be some of the most appreciative fishermen you've ever taken out.
    Ray, I was tied up in meetings most of the day and couldn't get loose. I called you about 2:30 or 3 and got your answering machine. I'll try again tomorrow. I'd like to bring some information out for you to share with your employees if you will.

18. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Id like to help somehow, not sure if I can make it but I will do what I can.
    Any suggestions like helping catching bait or something?
    I can catch a bunch of black perch for everyone to use.
    Sounds like a great event, thanks for bringing it to our attention.

19. Backlashed

Backlashed New Member

State:
    Derby, Kansas
    Kyle, if you don't have anything going this weekend, maybe we could go net a bunch of shad.

I still haven't heard if I'm going to Texas or not.:confused2:

20. Calvin

Calvin New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Kyle, thanks for your offer. We can use all sorts of help. Actually we are in pretty good shape for bait. There is always a need for help on the boats or loading and unloading. I'm sure we'll need someone who can clean some fish. Tyler always likes that job and I let him have it.lol There will even be some people fishing from the bank if we don't have enough boats and I know your expertise could be put to good use there. If you are able to come out I promise you won't regret the experience. The flatheads are biting so you might want to bring yourself some perch too.