Whatta bout a Penn 209m?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by basstracker, Dec 2, 2008.

1. basstracker

basstracker New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I just came across a Penn 209m that looks like it has never been out of the box and the thing feels like it could bring in JAWS.I have never fished with one and was wandering if anyone uses them. MAN I gotta find me another rod.I just might have to bolt this to one of my 30 ft cane poles LOL..

2. nitemare_63

nitemare_63 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    i have never used one but i know somebody that does and he loves penn reels that is all that he will use and he says they can haul in anything... i am eyeballing a penn reel just waitng on the right time to get it

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    David Welcome to the BOC. Many of our members use the 209 Penn. It is a work horse. With good line and proper drag settings it will bring in Jaws. This reel will do you a good job.:0a25::0a25::0a18:

4. basstracker

basstracker New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Thanks MICKEY I can't wait to try this one out.. I can hear the ole OOST a callin

5. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    they arent the easyst to cast and they can be a chore to reel in if you check your bait alot.

6. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    i have four of the penn 209 s that ive had sense 1968 and im still fishing them.you keep them clean and oiled and they last for ever.

7. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I cant cast them at all.

8. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Yup 209-309....330gt and hopping fer some more.....they will do the job yes sir and like Pitts said ........."they will last ferever!".Hey if ya dont like it let me know (LOL)

9. wneubauer

wneubauer New Member

State:
    McKinney, TX
    They can be a bit difficult to cast for distance, but they are tough and will last forever if maintained. Easy to work on, and just a great reel, especially if you troll or boat fish, or don't need monster distance on your cast. I have heard of people taking off the levelwind mechanism for better casting so that could be an option for you. Sounds like you have a great deal there, though. I do like my 209's.

And for a real winch, get yourself a 309!

10. basstracker

basstracker New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Thanks fellas for the info. I figured if I don't like it I can always strap it to a tree and use it to pull my boat out of the water.LOL

11. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    <David Welcome to the BOC. Many of our members use the 209 Penn. It is a work horse. With good line and proper drag settings it will bring in Jaws. This reel will do you a good job>

Yes, it will do you a good job, and certainly handle any North American catfish. That being said, I don't like their gear ratio, nor do I like the way they feel when reeling, nor do I like the way they cast. With their gear ratio, you have to real FOREVER to get anywhere. They're just a plain old workhorse winch. Which leads me to the point that Abu Garcia 6500 and 7000 series reels are SOOOOOOO much more fun to operate. Cast like a dream, smooth silky retrieve, and excellent gear ratios. Abu Garcia RULES! :wink::smile2::wink:
    Bill in SC

12. basstracker

basstracker New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Yeah Bill my 6500c3 came in at the same time as my Penn and it went on the rod first.Gotta get me a rod for the Penn.

13. swampratt

swampratt Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I use a Penn longbeach 67 a #9 , and the 330GTI the penns with practice will cast quite far,, long rod in the 14 foot really helps..

Now i do have a 6500c3 on a 10' that with the brakes taken out will cast as far with a 10' rod as the 330GTI on the 14' rod ..the 330 i have spooled with cheap 30lb mono and the c3 i use power pro braid...I want to say 50# or better

That gives the c3 a slight advantage..

I have used a 209 and i put 80# dacron braid on it and it had a 6 foot solid fiberglass rod 3/8" thick at the end...I LIKED IT Pawn shop 20$ with reel
    I still use them thick rods , the only thing you wear out is the line guides----- and your arms:eek:oooh:

14. nitemare_63

nitemare_63 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    thats one of the few posts i have seen about penn reels and how they are ok to cast and can be ok at distance. distance is important to me cause i bank fish so how far is a good distance for penn reels for casting. now i know it all depends on the person but just wondering????

15. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    the penn he was talking about was a gt series.not all penns are alike the ones people either like or hate is the general levelwind series (9-209-309). the gti gt2 are better reels 4 berrings 4:1 gears beefier frames and i believe they have the cast control that the 209s ect dont.

16. nitemare_63

nitemare_63 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    would the penn 310gti be a good reel for heavy catfishing????

17. cathog

cathog New Member

State:
    Lone Oak Texas
    I use Penn 209's and I also have an old Penn 350 leveline. I like all of them. A person can get decent distance with a 209 after some practice. For casting, the 350 is my favorite, it is also tough as nails like the 209's. I have caught many big fish on these reels, and never had any problems. I have also used 5500 and 6500 ambassadeurs, and I love them. The gears on them do not seem to hold up as well on them after many big fish. The Penn's are in my boat all winter and early spring, when I am targeting the big ones. The ambassadeurs are in the boat the rest of the time.

18. cathog

cathog New Member

State:
    Lone Oak Texas
    I forgot to answer your question. The 310gti would make a very good reel for heavy catfishing.