Whats Your Ultimate Combo?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by TxRiverman, Jun 5, 2006.

1. TxRiverman

TxRiverman New Member

State:
    Lockhart Tx
    If cost wasnt a factor,what would be your ultimate rod and reel combo for tackling big Blues and Yellow Cats?

2. meat_hunter

meat_hunter New Member

State:
    Clarksville, TN
    meat hunter rod and a abu garcia 7000 baitcaster

3. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    a abu 7000 or 10000, and a shakespere ugly stick tiger medium action

4. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    A big heavy Abu Reel...Probably a 7000 on a Surge Rod. Yes how I would enjoy that!

5. polecatter

polecatter Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    An older Penn 209 and 7ft. Shakespeare Ugly Stik Tiger or Shakespeare Catfish Ugly Stik (White), M or MH action.

IMO that's as good as it gets for Flats in my waters.

Larry

6. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I have the ultimate combo in my possesion; It is a M/H Gator Custom Rod with an ABU 7000C3 reel mounted on it. This combo will serve the purpose for me. Ain't nothin like a Gator Rod folks!!!

7. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    Exactly what i have now, an E-CAT with an ABu 7000 mounted on it...Designed to tame the Big Cats...LMAO

8. ohiohawghunter45067

ohiohawghunter45067 New Member

State:
    Trenton, Ohio
    it would be exatly what i have now a nite stick rod with a abu tccf ridin shotgun

9. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    I have to say that I already own it, also! It is my 8' "Seeker American Series" rated 15(25)40 with seatless, cork tape butt and Penn 320LD Lever Drag!

10. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    A accurate dual drag Accurate Boss Magnum 665HXC w/ Cast Control and a custom built Seeker e-glass rod with a Afco uni butt and hologriphic trubo guides.

11. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    I believe I also own mine already, which consists of a Penn 320LD (lever drag) and an American Premier OTS Supreme heavy action rod, 30 pound test Berkley Big Game clear line. It is an amazing setup; it casts awesomely far with little to no effort, and its only on a 7 foot rod, and it is POWERFUL.

12. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I have no idea what any of the above is,but I have no doubt it is a great outfit.I know that it would be a rig to be proud of.It will give me something to try to look up.All the old things just seem to pop up.Learning new things and thinking is a real challenge.peewee-williams

13. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    For fishing the tailwaters of Truman dam where I usually fish, I think I have a pretty good combo:
    15' MH Ugly Stick
    Shimano 6500B Baitrunner

It's got 30# Andees on it right now, but will soon have 80# Power Pro (my local outdoor store ran out).

14. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    After watching DH's video, I'd have to say.. I'd just call up Gator and tell em what I was going after and build me a rod and just go ahead and hang the best reel he could think of off it....

15. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    If cost wasnt a factor, I'd like to have a Penn Jigmaster 505HS or Penn Jigmaster 500 anchored on a 7' FH2 Gator custom built rod. Im not sure if its the perfect combo, but sure can picture it in my hands.

16. shotdemducks

shotdemducks New Member

State:
    kansas
    10ft custom built LAMIGLAS honey blonde rod, with a 6000 Abu on it.

17. TNVOLCAT

TNVOLCAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    A Quantum Cabo CLW30PTS reel mounted to a Surge Trophycat Series Medium Heavy or Heavy action rod spooled with 100 lb. Power Pro.

18. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Gator Rods are custom, hand made rods by one of the members here (Gator, AKA Jim Hudson).. From what I have seen and read of them, they are a premo rod made by a real craftsman.. Check out the video library or go to his sponsor section to see one in action.. They are a work of art that look to handle anything you can throw at it... I'm saving my pennies for one....

19. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    They are custom made by one of our members. very good rod strong strong rod

20. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    Well for starters each of my flathead rods will lift a 10# mushroom anchor off the ground or it will not be used by me or one of my customers. I also built them with blank trough the handle construction, and the handles I love are Stewart tuff butts which are one peace hollow aluminum section with the reel seat built in and a tuff butt cover which is a tough polymer cover and all my guides are Hardloy unless you ask for something else. Now I will put no less than 8 guides for a casting rod plus the tip. There is no line touching the blank under a fighting load which can cause the line to break. Also if I am not happy with the fell or balance or even the way a rod looks I don’t ship it but I will tear it down and redo it. I am slow as I do all my shaping, wrapping, and finishing by hand and not with those high dollar fancy machines. My rods are all done old school and they are all one of a kind with your name, date built and my signature on each one. Any rod can cast and catch a fish but a rod built to those specs and built for you with American pride now that is a whole different ball game there.