what's your thoughts ?

Discussion in 'Alternative Methods of Catching Catfish' started by strutncut68, Jun 4, 2008.

1. strutncut68

strutncut68 New Member

State:
    mississippi
    What do ya'll think about snaggin for catfish in the tail races at resivours. My state ( Mississippi) made it legal to snag any type fish in any water in the state. 2/0 trebble hooks only and there is a minium length on stripers and a maximum on the spoonbill catfish. I personally have no problem with it but was just wandering what ya'll thought.

2. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    :crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy:

i get upset with some folks for griping about killing catfish trotlining ect,,. ive snagged for carp and buffolo. i guess its everymans fun. i wouldnt snag for cats. i have more fun catching them.

if its not against the law then i have no argument. just not my thing.

we used to toss out hand sized trebles with 2 oz weight tied to mason twine and rip it towards us at the base of the spillway to get some buffolo and carps. once i got a small log and it had several feet of string snagged around it. low and behold it had a 2 lb channel hooked to to the end of line. after all he had been through i had no choice but to.

eat him too. :smile2:

3. williambevels

williambevels New Member

State:
    alabama
    I have mixed feelings on it.its fun but a ton of work,just dropping line and pulling up over and over.I have two buddys from birmingham ala that will come down on friday and snatch all week end non stop and some days they catch a lot of fish but more they leave with none.I have done it in the past but not any more.it's dangerous as well because when fish are around the platt forms here.people get hit with fish,hooks, and poles.

this last season i saw a little girl get a hooked by a trible hook in the side.
    the guy just cut the line and picked another rod up and went right back at it.
    to say the least i said some thing,sorry when a child gets hurt because some one don't care to watch what he is doing.i get mad and i get mad fast.

if the guys are respectful and watch hey i am for it 100% but not then i am 100% against it.so i have mixed feelings

4. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I dont mind the snagging of non game fish......i.e. buffalo, carp, drum, but it really irks me to see people snagging catfish........people, if you cant catch a catfish legally give it up........Wally World sells catfish, maybe you should invest your tackle money there.

Snaggers are a nusience to other fishermen, especailly down below outlets....they have no consideration for other people fishing. I have been fishing and finally just quit until they have left.

Fishermen need to be more considerate to the people around them. Snagging is not the way to go.

5. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Snagging is not fishing, and I'm into fishing.

6. txthumper1691

txthumper1691 New Member

State:
    Temple, Tx.
    Ifs its legal, whats th harm. Me personally, I dont do it, never heard of it before now, so I really dont know what it is or how it works. I have been running trotlines all my life along with using rod & reels, that works for me just fine. so, until I know more about it I really cant discriminate or persecue anyone for doing it. sorry, just my belief.

7. KanHeadhunter

KanHeadhunter New Member

State:
    S. E. K.
    I don't like it!!! I hope Kansas doesn't go this way.

8. DICK151

DICK151 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I'll have to second "dougc"'s answer on it.. I, myself would much rather throw out a couple of poles and set some lines out.

9. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    The if it's legal then what is wrong with it thinking is not how I look at it.

I think catfish are game fish and should be caught on a hook line and bait.

Just cause something is legal dont make it the right thing to do.