Whats your snake story

Discussion in 'LOCAL TEXAS TALK' started by jsharris, Apr 5, 2006.

1. jsharris

jsharris New Member

State:
    Texas
    i was walking in my yard the other night and it was really windy cause a cold front was coming through. Anyway i walked under a small tree that we have in our front yard and something fell on my shoulder.When it landed on my shoulder i thought it was a small limb or something like that so i brushed it off and when i touched it with my hand i thought to myself that really dint feel like a stick. That felt like some kind of animal of the reptilian persuasion. my gosh i liked to pooped my pants!!!!!!! man i started kicking and screaming like a little girl!!!!!!! you would of thought i was being eatan alive by a grizzly bear or something. i know the neigbors probably thought the wife was beatin me with a broom again(actually saw that happen in my neighbors front yard last week and it was hilarious)!! anyway after i had knocked it off and finally composed myself i started lookin for what the heck that was. i dint find and limbs of sticks on the ground and after lookin for a few minutes i saw a green grass snake curled up right by the tree that i walked under. i know i know its not poisonous but it still didnt make me feel any better. just let me say this "There was a little PEE in my pants!!!!!!!! Yes a little wet spot around the mid section". i admit it and i dont care. if ou had a snake fall on your shoulder carressing its tongue on your ear you just might poop your pants too!!!!! dont lie to yourself you know you would!!!!!!!!!!!!! ok maybe the snake didnt carress his tongue on my ear.hope you guys enjoyed the story. It sure will stay with me the rest of my life.

Jason Harris of Southeast Texas

2. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    All i have to say is eeeeeckkkkkk lol:crying:

3. Quackcephus

Quackcephus New Member

State:
    TX
    This past fall, while out duck huntin' I sent one to heaven or wherever Rattler's go when they get a head full of #5 steel :0a6:

My pardnuh's dawg had just made a retrieve & was gettin' back on the dawg stand when I saw & heard the Rattler. My padnuh was takin' the duck from the dawg, as I swung around & knocked the dawg back into the water sayin', "SNAKE!!!" BAM BAM BAM!!! Emptied the Benelli & saved the dawg's life. :blink:

The Rattler was between 5 & 6' long & we then proceeded to the bank & clean out our wader's :cursing:

4. bigfish

bigfish New Member

State:
    Dunbar WV.
    if i know thier there they dont bother me. quite a few years back when i drove a truck, i was in arizona and saw this lond red snake skooten across the parking lot, of course i had to go catch it. but then one day i was leanin on a tree and within 4" of my head came a 3' black snake. caught me off gaurd is all but when your not expecting it it does make the heart skip a beat or two.

5. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    I used to keep snakes as pets when I was a kid. I don't know why they get such a bad rap, I see snakes often when out fishing and they never bother me

6. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Die Satan! Die You Evil Serpent!

7. TexasCatfish

TexasCatfish New Member

State:
    Texas
    I don't really mind snakes at all, when I was a kid I used to catch the little garden snakes all the time. The only problem I seem to have, is that I never realize rattle snakes are near me until they're close enough to bite me. Granted, I've never been bitten by one, but it's always a near miss. At least three different times I've had one within three feet of me before I realized it (the rattle is a dead give away). :p

8. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    As I posted in another thread, I am somewhat of a snake expert, having kept them for over 30 years. I catch them all the time, but I have to admit they've made me jump a few times. Normally when you flip over a rock, board or piece of tin looking for them they just lay there, but occasionally, one will dart out across your feet & it makes you jump! LOL, i've also had mice/rats as well as rabbits and opossums do this same thing! :)

Here are a few of my snake hunting pics.

Well, it wont let me attach pics, the window pops up & then disappears. What's the deal?

Eric

9. Bigun

Bigun New Member

State:
    Burnet, TX
    The local Vet ordered some soap for bathing the Bird Dog. I followed him back into the stock room. The wall is lined with little cubicles kind of like chicken nests. I was walking along and glanced sideways and there 18" from my head was a five foot rattle snake coiled up and striking. He does some Taxadermy and had this stored in the cubicle, he was very apologictic about scarring the #### out of me. I apologized to him for the sorry workmanship on the new Door in the back wall.

I didn't really establish a new door but I did ricochet of the back wall about three times.

10. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    When I lived out in LA, my bud and I went to Big Sur where he liked to hunt wild pigs and I liked to trout fish. We were walking up a trail and all of a sudden he started yelling rattler. Heck I stopped to see it, he yelled, you just stepped right over it, it was crawling across the trail, gulp I didn't even see it. I am supprised that I have not been bitten, due to not looking for them. I figure if I leave them alone they will leave me alone and so far it's worked fine. I never pay any attention when I am in the woods or walking in high grass on a bank fishing. Guess I should but am always looking where I am heading. Now if I heard one rattle I would probably poop my pants and he would just leave do to the smell, hope anyway.

11. jsharris

jsharris New Member

State:
    Texas
    I guess about 10 years ago we raised rabbits and had about oh i guess 100. We would sel the babies at easter time and make a little profit off of them. Well for some reason that spring was the worst spring ever for us. We Killed 5 snakes over 6 foot long and they were all after our bunnies. I was in the house one evening fixing me a sandwich and dad had went out to feed and water the rabbits. I heard dad screaming to the top of his lungs. The noise was gettin closer and closer as he was running for the house!!! I dint know was he was yellin about. He threw open the door and his exact words were "there's a snake out there big enough to eat a monkey!!!!!!!" LOL Why in the world he said monkey i dont know. He ran to his room and grabed the .22 mag rifle and darted out the door. I was curious to see this monkey eating snake so i followed after him. When i saw the snake i couldnt believe my eyes, the snake had eatin all of the babies that were about 2 weeks old and was to big to get back out of the cage. he was small enough to get in the cage. it was a 7 foot stump tail mocasin. my gosh i hate those things. i don see them very much but they scare me to death. The cage that he was in was with a brown minature. he was striking at her and he would jump out of the way. i thought for sure she had been bitten but she hadnt. dad killed the snake and put on some welding gloves and pulled it out.

12. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    I've told this story before but it bears reporting.A friend and I were fishing Lake Travis in Texas and we had pulled our little boat right up to the dam face on the lake side.The lake was low so we tied to the grates protecting the turbine intakes.White bass ,catfish and carp swarmed along the dam in spring and at night it was a fishing circus.We were catching whites real well by lantern light when along swims this 6ft rattler right next to the boat.My friend decides he is going to kill this snake and takes our paddle raises it over his head and delivers a mighty blow to the middle of the snake.Of course the snake wraps itself around the paddle and my friend in surprise instinctively raises the paddle back over his head which deposits the now highly pissed off rattler right in the middle of the 16 ft boat.6 ft of snake only leaves 10 feet of boat divided by two which isn't a hell of a lot of room, particularly when the snake figures he gave us first shot and now he wants to get his licks in.I didn't hesitate and went right up the grates about 10 ft.Securing myself there I watched my friend jump for the grates but when I jumped I had pushed the boat out to the lenght of our line and he hadn't noticed so into the drink he went but not for long.The mental image of the snake crawling out of the boat back into the water with him was to much for my friend and he shot out of the water like a Polaris missle and landed higher than me on the grates.I swear to this day that he wasn't in the water long enough to get wet.The snake spent the next two hours relaxing in the boat while we clung to these horribly rusted, uncomfortable iron grates until I couldn't stand it anymore.We managed to get ahold of the rope and started rocking the boat until the snake abandoned ship and we could climb back down.Ever since I don't mess with any kind of snake and try not to fish with idiots.:rolleyes: :p ;) :cool: :)

13. txkatfish

txkatfish New Member

State:
    Holliday, Texas
    I am not that scared of snakes but a buddy of mine is deathly afraid of snakes. We were fishing on a barge at lake kickapoo late one night and had a 5lb cat in the fish basket. I had noticed the snake swiming around the basket but did not say anything so i wouldn't spook my friend. Needless to say, my buddy saw the snake and screamed like a little girl jumped up on the bench and totally scared the pee out of me. I had forgotten about it till he came unglued. I finally killed the snake with a knife but my buddy would not come down from standing on the bench till the sun came up the next morning. Now i have to tell him every time I see a snake no matter how far away it is.

14. slab1

slab1 New Member

State:
    texas
    i was 16 and julie was visiting her grandparents. me,julie, and grandma polly went fishing on the large pond by grandma's house. fishing in a 16 foot v bottom with julie up front, grandma polly in the middle, and of course me in the back.(darn it) with grandma chaperoning we were catching a few fish. i was haveing better luck by fishing directly in back of the boat. with my back turned all of a sudden BOOM, grandma polly shot a water snake sending me out of the boat and to shore. the snake died, i got wet,and julie eyes big as saucers. grandma polly shot over julie's back while she was bent over. we ended the day fishing shortly.

15. flaboy

flaboy New Member

State:
    Wedgefield, SC
    one time I was talkin to a yankee when I heard a rattler singin, it sang for 3 or 4 min while he told me snakes don't come near the house. finally his sausage dog heard it and started barkin at it. I had to walk in and kick dog away b4 it got bit. after I killed the snake the guy never said snakes don't come up to house no more!:p

16. nathan king

nathan king New Member

State:
    vernon tx
    well i love the snakes and to add to the weird things i doo its playing with them,,, now from texas im sure all of you have heard of the waurika rattlesnake roundup,, yes im a professional rattlesnake handler with the Fangs and Rattlers we do that show every year and the show in jacksborro tx, the first year i was a handler we did a show in Sharron Springs Kansas and i took a bite from a prarie rattler but luckkily all i got was an emergency room bill, when around snakes all you have to remember is to stay calm and dont make quick movements until you've assesed the situation, move very slowly away snakes strike for 2 reasons and thats FEAR and FOOD and we aint lunch when i get a chance i'll post some pics.

17. oldnndway

oldnndway New Member

State:
    Texas
    I'll tell y'all a good snake story (and it's fishing related to boot)

I got this big ol black rubber snake about 4 foot long and put it in a 48qt cooler...but first I tied a piece of monofilament line to it's head and the other end to the lid of the cooler, up by the latch.

Then I put it in the bed of my truck and drove around with it back there for a week or so showing it to folks.
    I'd tell em that I had caught a 10 lb bass and had it on ice...did they wanna see it ?
    They would raise the lid (causing the snake to stand up and come toward the front of the lid where it was tied) just like a snake striking.

I was selling parts in sawmills at the time and had a ready audience to see my fish.

Man, I had a good time with that rubber snake.
    One fella even swore up and down that it had bitten him....I finally showed him it was rubber and he still argued that it had bitten him.

18. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    never use your paddle or stick to hit a snake in the water! it wont hurt the snake and only end up bouncin it out of the water genarally in your direction!

19. joecatfish

joecatfish New Member

State:
    TX
    Living, hunting and fishing in the piney woods of East Texas, I see a lot of snakes, and many are poisonous. Two sightings that always stand out in my mind are:

1). I was running my redbones in a big swamp full o' coon up near Maydell. One of my hounds, Buzzard, went to a sagebush, stuck his head in, then abruptly jerked it out. He did that several times in quick succession, so I figured I had better check it out. I parted the bush, and there was a cottonmouth in there about 5' long, but seemed as big around as a car tire tube. I have never seen one that fat before or since.

2). I was tubing the guadalupe one hot summer day with some friends. I drifted under a willow overhanging the river, and a cottonmouth came out from under it, right toward me. I threw my half-full beer can at him, and then a few full cans from the cooler tied to my tube. Finally, about 5' from me, I hit him on the noggin with one, and he submerged. That did little to reassure me, since I could no longer see him, so I rode a little higher in the tube for a few hundred yards.

I also have pics of a 45-50" coral snake I took while squirrel hunting in SHNF. They are supposed to only get 36".

20. jsharris

jsharris New Member

State:
    Texas
    joecatfish, that is some pretty funny stuff. seems like there are a lot of snake stories out there.