whats your personal opinion on freelining

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by LEROYDOZOIS, Feb 3, 2008.

1. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    i freeline for striper all winter and kinda think about it for channels

to me its like juging but on a pole

im curious because the river here in AZ will carry the bait around ,,, so again i wonder :confused2:

help or opinions anyone ???

2. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Never tried it for cats. Used it for stripers with success. Most of the cats I catch this time of year are from deeper water, but I would bet in the summer as the bait moves up shallower it would be a good technique.

3. baptistpreach

baptistpreach New Member

State:
    Oklahoma!
    If you mean fishing if free spool while they run with it, I've done it before and done alright with it

4. bobby-catfishing

bobby-catfishing New Member

State:
    Highland Villag
    I fish a lot with baitcast reels in free-spool with the bait clicker engaged. This can be ver exciting with you have 8 to 10 rods in the water and multiple rods start going off. People are scrabling for the rods, net, camera, more bait, pliers, etc. The scream of a bait clicker will get your attention in a hurry.

I have free-spooled some with spinning reels. The problem is that the fish will usually swallow the bait deep. I don't like to do that if I'm going to release the fish. The good thing is when they pull 6 or more feet of line off, it's almost a sure bet you'll get a solid hookset and something will be on the other end.

5. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    I think LeRoy is talking about hooking a live bait, and tossing it out without weights. I tried this in ponds when I was a kid, and it caught fish. BE WARNED - a freelined sunfish can find a snag in a bathtub!

6. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY

Thats what I thought also. If so why hasen't the lad been back in over 12 days to let us know. LOL!:confused2: