what's your opinion?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by bigfish08, Mar 1, 2008.

1. bigfish08

bigfish08 New Member

State:
    ohio
    for all of you who use your baitclicker in freespool, have you ever noticed a tendency for a larger flathead to run slow, or maybe really fast and hard, or sometimes run.... stop.. run.. stop.. just wondering if anyone has an opinion on this? i personally have noticed that it depends more on the bait than the size of the flathead? ive had 30 pounders run like a sprinter, and others take line a couple clicks at a time.. what are your thoughts on this?

2. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Yeah, I've noticed that they run for the nearest log or pylon, and wrap my line around it a few times.:eek:oooh::smile2:

3. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    i think its has to do with size of bait often. they position it to go down head first and the bigger the bait the longer it takes.

4. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    i have had big ones had hit fast and slow. for the most part the big guys will hit it then just kind move off or stay put. a hit like that will make you smile. don't know why they hit differently at times though. maybe in addition to whats been said their activity level or attitude? however big they end up,you have to love a fish that stays down then passes your boat going up current nice and slooooow. lol god i love that:wink:

5. SangamonCatKiller

SangamonCatKiller New Member

State:
    central illinois
    I guess I have really never used baitclickers. I am always in a tight spot, and really don't have room to let a fish run.....

6. upncomincatfishking

upncomincatfishking New Member

State:
    Cheviot Ohio
    its been my experience that the bigger flatheads will take my bait slower hit it, let go and come back again and take it down slow. but most of the 12-15 lb flatheads would hit it really hard and take off with it.

7. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I think the bait size has a lot to do with it ,I have had them take it both fast and slow !

8. randallewis

randallewis New Member

State:
    Louisiana --Shreveport
    I have had them take fast and slow. Seems like with big bait in cold water they are a little slower to move off.

9. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    Mostly when I hook into flats its a steady slow bend then they will take it. When using bigger bluegills they position the bait and then take it very rarely have I had them hit it really hard right off the start. Sometimes when I got a flat I dont even know hes on there because I thought it was a little one just pecking on my bait. But, I have had flatheads slam the pole. But normally I wait for them to mouth the bait for a while until I get that certain bend I like then there mine.

10. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I dont use clickers anymore, I now use circle hooks...But when I did use clickers I could always tell the run of a good fish, slow and steady!

11. Tubby Catfishin

Tubby Catfishin New Member

State:
    Ramseur, North Carolina
    Guys I was fishin Sat. and was actually watchin my line run out into the water but when the clicker hit it just stopped. By this time I had picked up my rod outta the holder and felt the fish but didnt get a hookset. Was usin 5/0 circles w/ hole 6" shad. My question is could this have been a flatty that I reacted to fast on. It was round 5;30 or 6 in the evenin. I have yet to catch my first flathead due to the fact I'd never heard of em till 3 years ago...... always just caught bullheads and an occassional channel. Now I just gotta git one of em....

12. bigfish08

bigfish08 New Member

State:
    ohio
    it would depend if you were using live shad, or dead ones, if a catfish of any size took a shad 6in. long hes not going to drop it, especially a flathead, hard telling though, could be turtles or gar if shad was dead..

13. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I can`t tell from a running fish whether it is a big one or not.

14. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Most of my good Flatheads have just slowly took the bait and slowly double over the rod or slowly take out the clicker. Once the hook is set , the fights starts then.:eek:oooh:

15. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    I haven't used my clickers very much since switching to circle hooks. When I do, I turn the clicker off as soon as I get the smallest of bites and wiat for the whammy.

16. crazyjet1

crazyjet1 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I have noticed that they will absoulutly crush it sometimes and others not. I think that they sometimes sit out there for an hour and chew on it before they bring it in there stomach. Also what i have noticed is that the bigger ones will normally run very slow with it and make you wonder. Stop start sometimes but the gradually constant slow click of that clicker is the true tale sign for me. I think that they eat it and take off slow because they are the major predator fish in most of the waters if not all the waters there in. So there is no competition for food really. Also they are very very territorial fish and honestly i dont think they like other biggins in there hole unless its the opposite sex. I have pulled males and females out of the same hole many times normally pretty close to the same size. I love to flathead catfish but i dont think i will ever figure these dang fish out!!!

17. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    From my experience using that tactic, the bigger flatheads usually will swim off with the bait at a steady solid run. This happens most of the time on the second run. The 1st is usually a short kill strike.