whats your opinion on investing $1000

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by thecatman, Jan 13, 2010.

1. thecatman

thecatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Graham, Texas,
    if you have 1000 to invest would you invest in stock market put in mutual fund a cd or a general savings account

2. THE PAN MAN

THE PAN MAN New Member

State:
    hartsburg mo.
    none of the above. im a tin jar fella. tuck it away in the drawer or hide it somewhere and use it when ya need to. sounds stupid and ol fashinoed but thats what i do.

3. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Invest short term in a Pay Day lender or other sin stock.

4. Little Mac

Little Mac Active Member

State:
    NW Arkansa
    I agree with puttin it in a jar!!!!!! But for real, do alot of homework before investing, I would be looking at the "green technology" for the fiuture. Do your homework.

5. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    wind farms and solar panel farms... JMO

6. THE PAN MAN

THE PAN MAN New Member

State:
    hartsburg mo.
    what is that paul.

7. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Gold or silver,,, if a long term investment..

Possibly Green stocks, or energy..,,,, due diligence!!

8. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    At your age ,I'd put it in an IRA,then add wisely,you need a future for when you retire,I aint got a thing to look foreward to cept SS,I dont think it'll be here by the time I hit 70

9. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    the way warkets are right now...... id go buy $1000 in scratch offs.

10. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    ok that last post was a joke.... im not really so stupid. but now that i think on it you might come out better gambling, thats all you doing in most markets now anyway.

11. Salthart

Salthart New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    You are a man with time on his hands and money in his pocket. You have also been burning down the want ads for used boats and motors etc.. Now may be a good time to buy and resale in warmer weather.. The market is very slow right now and so prices are really low if someone really wants to sell. Only buy at barn burner prices.. And ALWAYS check a boat for a solid transom and floor.

You have a good many friends on this forum who I'd bet would not mind telling you whats a good buy and what isn't.. But even then, Like most anything you do with money right now, You'd be betting that the economy will get better. If it don't, People can't eat dollar bills or gold. Or boats

No one else has offered advice as good as Rich IMO. If you have a grand you can put away and forget you ever had it... That will be a big big deal by the time your retirement age. It gets here sooner than you think.

Best of luck to ya bud. Whatever you do with it.

12. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Life is uncertain.............go have fun...W

13. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
  14. Vince Copple

Vince Copple New Member

State:
    Missouri
    The best thing to do is put it in an IRA an learn how to trade. You will not have to pay taxes in the IRA till you are 59 1/2. There are many higher dividend 16 to 20 percent annual yield (REITS) Real Estate Investment trusts that have to pay out 90 percent of earnings in dividend form. Some even have a 5 percent kicker if you invest direct in what is called a Dividend Reinvestment Program. You can find out about these by going to their website and to the investor relations section. Many you can download the forms there and write a check to send in. There are stock screeners out there to find this type of information.
    For those that have a yahoo email address.. Go to http://finance.yahoo.com/ Start a few watch lists in the portfolio section to start learning trading. There are many free tutorials out there to learn from. One of the best online brokerage house is Scottrade that is fairly simple to learn how to use.

15. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Where I couldn't lay my hands on it very easy.
    Wherever you put it go longterm.
    The bottom line is not what it is worth tomorrow, next week, next month, or next year.
    It only matters when you cash out.

16. BigBird

BigBird New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    have fun-having extra money is a good problem to have. if investing in stocks, bonds. treasuroies, real estate or flipping cars, boats or houses-know the historic market values, current values and upside potential. Be able to ride out any variance in value without cashing out.
    Also keep in mind that paying off debt can save you more than earning on most investments.
    Right now is a buyers market in just about most things! If investing stick with things you know and aware of their changing business position.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2010
  17. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    Savings accounts and CD's ain't payin much, if anything. I don't know about mutual funds. Scratch offs might be a quick turn around, but could develop other problems, and also could lose it all. With a savings acct you only lose the inflation rate. I wouid only buy gold if I was gonna hold it for a very long time, I have a feeling that the gold market will drop like a rock soon. Savings bonds will match the inflation rate, but thats about it, at least ya dont' lose anything.

A thousand bucks ain't a lot to the big boys, but its a lot to me. I'd have to think about what would be the best, safest, short term or long term use. That would depend on many factors, green technology is probably the best right now, if you can find a 1000 or so other investors you can start a wind farm. They are fairly expensive. Renewable fuel is also good, and non-perishable food.

18. kyleco55

kyleco55 Well-Known Member

State:
    Central In
    pick your ten favorite USCA members, and send each of them $100.. want my address now?

19. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I like the way you think..My choice of investment would be silver. Silver is in high demand for technology work. Should only get better with time.

20. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    There are some good deals in the Wind Power Ind. that could pay off big in the next few years.