What's your night fishing method from the shore?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by shania, Jan 28, 2009.

1. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    Hey Gang,
    We have alot of members here that do alot of fishing at night & from the shore, So I wanted to share my "Night Fishing Method from the Shore" with all of you, and I would like to get some of you guys ideas on this subject. So here is what like to do:

First:
    I like to start by setting up my lighting or lantern about 1/2 hours before sunset while I still can see things & plus by setting up your lantern - and "turning it on", the lighting looks natural as it becomes dark and will not spook many of the bait fish that are in the area - because you want them to remain in the area.

Second:
    I like to set up the light that I am using "in front of me", that way I don't make a mistake an do something dumb like walk in front of that light and cast a silhouette on the area that I'm going to be fishing in.
    :confused2:
    You want to "Be Quite" - so that means on things "Radios" & "No Loud Friends"(LoL), you don't want to spook the bait fish (remember them - LoL) because they are going to bring in the Predator Fish to you.
    &
    Third:
    I like to cast out my line out just on the outside rim of the light that I have made on the water, because I belive that the Predators are in the dark area of that light, just waiting for one of those bait fish to swim close to the rim or light/dark area to grab them because I have now created the perfect ambush point for night fishing.

Because I belive that Predators are just like anyone else that are up to something - they like to sneak up on things, and what better place to do it than in "The Dark".
    :amazed:
    So that's how I like to set-up for my night fishing from the shore & you know what
    "It Works"!
    wink:
    (LoL)
    So let me know how you guys like to night fish (from shore or a boat), I like reading & learning about things, because I think that your never to old to learn things.
    :wink:
    You Guys Take It Easy,
    Bert (Shania)
    :0a23:

2. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I like to get to my setup point before dark. I check all over for points of intrest ( such as the exact place I want to place my bait.
    My lantern is useally off to the side of me. Infront of me would cause and anoyance.. I have noticed that with the light casting over the water it tends to bring in larger carp also.. But when a see carp I never see turtles.. so thats a good thing.. I to also like to fish the edge of the light.. If Im on a lake I like to fish the lights edge with a live gill or large creek chub about 3 ft down.. always seems to work.. I also like to set my bait bucket around the center area of where my poles are located because it alwasy seems you get that big strike when your about to bait up.. as for radios and such.. I have my cell phone and I useally watch movies or listen to the radio or mp3 player on it.. but dont seem to have any problems such as scaring the fish.. I just keep it low..

3. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    I always like to fish at least an hour before dark. There's always that Dusk bite:cool2:. I get to my spot, set up where I'm gonna sit and be quiet and where my rods are gonna go. I know my holes pretty well so I know exactly where to chuck my bait whether it's a scour holes, submerged timbers, undercut bank, rockpile, or bridge piling. No lights except for headlamp. I once heard from an oldtime flatheader that even the light of the moon can spook a flathead:smile2:. No music or NOISE except for IPods but you won't be able to hear your clickers so IPods would be obsolete during flatheading unless you are a Deadsticker. No movement or horseplay. Children running around throwing rocks is an absolute NO-NO! Skipping rocks and lighting off cherry bombs will get you nothing except a skunk. I then just sit still, enjoy my prefered beverage of choice, wait patiently, and reel em in. If you wanna talk, you better know American Sign language. In the classroom and on the bank, I demand absolute SILENCE!

Very simple and not too complicated

4. rythymroach

rythymroach New Member

State:
    United States
    For my two cents worth (this is for Flatheads) I think location is crucial to getting the bigger ones.
    I will scout out for logjams, known underwater crevices, big rock piles and fallen trees.
    I personally believe you can catch a monster on a cane pole or junk rod if you find the holding spot where he is. Since they are known ambush predators you have to find there lair where they lay in wait.
    the smaller ones will cruise shallows but them big guys usually hold tight to some form of structure.
    So I M H O, the site you're gonna fish at must have some of the fundamental neccesities that the fish you're targeting desire.
    For flats it's definitely heavy cover, the heavier, and denser the better.

We dont have many blues here in my area so I usually go for the flats, or big channels.

5. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i like gettin to my spot about an hour before dark so i can set up my seat and if i have to clear out an area, i don't use any lanterns, the only light i use is the one on my hat or a small flashlight and thats only when i need it(tying knots or looking for something), other than that i'm sittin in the dark, besides the less i have to carry down the better, i carry all my gear in a backpack and that way i only need ta carry my poles and bait, that free's up one hand for the flashlight when i leave

6. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 Well-Known Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    I like to get out about an hour before dark if I can. I know my holes pretty well and I don't need much time to get my baits in the water. I don't like to use any light if possible and try to avoid walking close to the edge of the water.

7. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    One of these days, I'm gonna catch me one of these here cat fishes an then I'm gonna tell you all how I done it. Probably go on for hours an hours about it.:wink:

8. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    What I understand is right before dark the bite is really active then a few hours later

9. rythymroach

rythymroach New Member

State:
    United States

rotflmao, yeah I believe that very thing:eek:oooh:

10. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    i also like to start a hour or 2 before dark.it gives me time to get every thing set up and get quite before the darkness hits i use a flash light mostly to hit the top of my rods to check my bails.some times a fire behind me for warmth

11. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    I also like to get set up before dark we call it prime time lol .
    Anyway I usually set up with a carolina rig . Sometimes I also use those glow in the dark bobbers in red only (my own belief that the red works best )

12. Vekta

Vekta New Member

State:
    CA
    Me and my dad just light a lantern and set it behind us when it gets dark. Nothing complicated. The bites and fish just keep on-a comin.

13. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    we have two northstar lanterns (very bright ) and hang them on 2 six foot shepard hooks works great , we also use aluminum foil on half the lantern glass to block the light from being in eyes , that way you can get set them on the ends of your spot

14. Hoopie

Hoopie New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I fish out of a boat, always in the dark. IF I do need a light I just use a small flashlight. Although I am fixing to install some LED lights inside my rig.Just my 2 cents worth.

15. rrssmith

rrssmith New Member

State:
    Bakersfield
    well Bert, the first thing i do is bait up my poles and cast out ,then i set up my immediate area: chair and lanterns and bait containers.

16. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    I personally like to keep my lanterns away from the water. I normally use only a head light.

17. upncomincatfishking

upncomincatfishking New Member

State:
    Cheviot Ohio
    well me personally I get to the lake a couple hours before dark so I got time to catch a lil bait If possible. cause wat I pull out is prolly wat they been eatin. and if I use a lantern I usually keep it 15-20 ft back from bank and low as possible. but I rarely use one. and I fish from shore and know my spot pretty well. so I keep one pole with a slip float about 5-10ft from bank about 4ft deep and one about 30-40ft out about 10-15ft or a lil deeper. I only fish with live bait. I stay all night til an hour or two after sun up. cause I get most real good ones and dusk and dawn. I use just about strictly warmouth bluegills and crappie. the shovels seem to love em. I guess cause the warmouths are a lil fatter than your regular bluegill. and the crappies drive em crazy. i've never went out with crappies and not landed a good size shovel. but if i'm fishin during the day at my fav. lake I fish near the aerorator about 5-6ft deep about 3-4ft around it whether it be behind in front or on sides. also I always dip my net in the water that i'm fishin when I first get there and leavw it so just the tip is sittin in thw water. maybe its superstition but I would fish without doin that first I do it before I even unpack my gear.

18. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    I usually start by loading up about an hour later than I should. Then I stop at a store to pick up some turkey liver then I go to another store because the first store was out. Then I drive to the bait shop near the lake and buy some creek chubs and chew the fat with whoever is working at the bait shop about where the fish are biting. Then I drive over to the lake and start carrying my stuff to my favorite camping spot but I trip over a fire ring because it's already dark due to the fact that I got a late start and I made an extra stop for turkey liver. Then I put my pole holders in the ground and trip over them and cuss. Then I hook my hook leaders on to my swivels and cuss at the mosquitos that are swarming around my face because I'm holding a flashlight under my arm. I reach in the minnow bucket for a lively chub only to discover that I forgot to turn on the air pump and the chubs are all dead and I cuss some more. I bait up with a chub and some liver and cast out. By now my buddy has already had his first bite and I cuss at him under my breath. I set up my chair and cot and go to sleep. My buddy waits for a while and takes out an extra bell and rings it which causes me to fly out of my sleeping bag and trip over my chair. He laughs and I lay back down for a while until he gets distracted or falls asleep then I pull the same prank on him. Eventually one of us catches a fish which makes the whole thing worth while

19. 187um

187um New Member

State:
    west frankfort, ill
    as for my 2 cents.......same as most of you i like to be already set up 45 minutes or so before its starts to get dark. incase i forget something or break it or just flat out lose it..i know we have all left an unknown momento behind. any ways as far as the lighting thing goes i hear it plays an important role but heres the thing u find me someone who swares by the light i will find someone who doesn't. your preff i have used fire laterns flashlights and nothing at all(dont recomend that one) never noticed a diffrence. so me 4 poles, usaully a buddy, imported beer, and the most peaceful time i have ever experienced in life.

20. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    Fishing with a lights or lanterns is not a problem for me - just as long as you turn on that light (lantern) Before it becomes dark so it looks natural & "You Don't Move It" - that light brings in the bait fish and the predators follow.
    (At lease I hope so - lol)
    :wink:
    and you don't want to walk in front of it, causing a shadow or silloate of the water - try setting the light off to the side of you, and I cast a line just to the light/dark area or about 5' to 10' on the dark side of that area.
    (Trush me - It works)

:0a23::0a26: