Whats your most reliable KNOT with Braided fishing line and Monofilament Fishing Line

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by Dmcsa1201, Nov 6, 2008.

1. Dmcsa1201

Dmcsa1201 New Member

State:
    Shaler/Pit
    I have been trying a bunch of knots with braided and mono like and i can seem to find one that will hold up to my standards. :smile2: I even lick my knots so i wont burn them nor fray them. Usually tieing a 5/0-8/0 gama oct circle or just plane circle. OR just any 5/0+ hook. Anyone have any clue what i should do, use, or improve on my "skills" of knots?:sad2::embarassed::angry::confused2::eek:oooh:.

2. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I use the Palomar knot for everything. Excellent strength and very easy to tie. Good luck.

3. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I'm on Team "snell ", LOL . Snelling and circles hooks are just meant to be together .

-Jim-

PS..a lot of folks pre-tie their leaders at home .

4. Bambu

Bambu New Member

State:
    S.C.
    i use a palomar for striper, snells for cats. for braid try a double palomar or snell(cant go wrong with a properly snelled hook for cats). i also make it a point to really shank the knot, i pretie leaders at home using a nail in bench top to hold the hook and i pull the hell out of it:smile2:

5. PaJay-p

PaJay-p Guest

I used to tie Paloamr with offset circles but now after different advice from here on the BOC and in the field. Snelling is by far the best in my opinion. There are some good articles and drawings in the members library on hook snelling also the you tube video that's circulating is very good.

6. jdward

jdward New Member

State:
    Memphis, TN
    I use palomars on all my braided line and snell the mono. I also pretie all my leaders at home (gives me a little less time tying gear and more time fishing). Just keep looking around on here and you can find some great info on knots and just about anything else you wanna know about catfishing:wink:.

7. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    You should look at animatedknots.com It's got videos that you control the speed of. Watch em fast or slow,or even frame by frame. I used to only use improved clinch and palomar knots. After finding that site,I'm a knot tying fool. They not only have fishing knots,but boating,rescue,and all types of knots.

8. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    I snell all my knots, mono and braid...
    ~A

9. catfishguy

catfishguy New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I use snells, but I use palomar for everything except tying the hooks.

10. ninrugger

ninrugger New Member

State:
    WI
    i use a snell with mono on my off set eye circles, palomars on mono on most hooks or lures that i can get two lines through the eye and it's not a big issue trying to loop the line around the lure....uniknots with both mono and braids on most everything else. when catfishing and tying the braid to the swivel, i'll use either a double uniknot or a palomar knot interchangeably. when tying a mono leader directly to braid, i'll use a uni to uniknot. with that being said....if you notice any kinking or steching with your line...better retie. what knots have you tried? using them for?

11. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Hmmm, I don't know what ya call'm,,,

A buddy of mine told me,, "if you can't tie a knot,,, tie a LOT!!!":wink:

12. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    I snell hooks. Palomar and improved clinch on most everything else.

13. dano40

dano40 New Member

State:
    Spirit lake, Iowa
    The palomar knot is the best and stongest knot for both braid and mono.

14. HOLD-ACCOUNT

HOLD-ACCOUNT New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Here is a link to a video that shows the knot myself and quite a few others use on our braid and mono. The knot tying info is a few minutes into the video after the catching shad and anchoring the boat segment.

http://video.yahoo.com/watch/4022216/10882369

Hope this helps!:wink:

15. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    i use palomar for both, but feel that it doesn't fully suffice for mono.

16. payton350

payton350 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I have never been failed by a snell with any line.

17. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Learn to tie the palomar knot, snell knot and dropper loops and that will cover 99% of your fishing. Nothing beats a palomar with braid.

18. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
  19. wneubauer

wneubauer New Member

State:
    McKinney, TX
    I use a Uni knot with braid, and it works great. With mono I've used an improved clinch since my dad taught it to me, again it works great...

20. John Jennings

John Jennings New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I use a variation of the trilene knot, I cant describe it I would have to show you, but I can tell you this..I have not lost a fish yet to the knot and usually straighten hooks out on snags