What's Your Method of Breaking Line?

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by criggster, Jul 4, 2007.

1. criggster

criggster New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I usually use PP 30lb. test and find that it is very difficult to break when snagged. I usually try to find a stick and wrap the line around the stick several times and pull hard to break it. I was wondering what you all use to break that heavy line?

2. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Maybe not the best method, but i wrap my line around the outside of my baitcasting reel.

3. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Actually, I prefer not to break it at all, LOL!!! But when I have to, I use the same method that Ol'Splitshorts does, LOL!!!

4. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    I usually just find anything to wrap it around...a stick...my buddie's neck...just all depends on my disposition of the night...:wink:

-Red

5. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Didn't realize that you actually had buddies, LOL!!!

6. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    I guess i just take the easy way out lol. Cut it !

7. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    I use 40# Big Game. I wrap a towel around my hand, wrap the line around the towel and give it a good tug. I haven't cut myself......YET :crazy:

8. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    Well, I did this one time...but he was outfishin' me when I got hung up...lol :crazy::eek:oooh::confused2: They're hard to come by lately, though...:wink:

-Red

9. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    BTW....been meanin' to ask ya, Wanna go fishin'? LOL :big_smile:

-Red

10. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky

Sure but, If I get hung on a snag I will be more merciful than you, I will just throw you over to get it un-snagged, LOL!!!

11. catchinghogs

catchinghogs Well-Known Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    If I get a snag I have a method that works good on spinning reels.Pull the line tight as you can and then flip the bail over sometimes the snapping action of the tension releases the hook then if I have to break it I just hold the spool with my hand and pull till it breaks.One time I tried to break it by grabbing the line a little from the tip of the rod and I broke the rod in half It wasnt the best rod though.

12. cat tamer

cat tamer New Member

State:
    MO
    I wrap the line around the handle several times on the reel and pull

13. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    i carry a leather glove.

14. McDreamy

McDreamy New Member

State:
    nc
    i use 130lb big water braid made by spider wire on a couple of rods have been known to wrapp it around a boat cleatand break it or pull loose what ever im hung on. but on all the other rods im running 20lb line that ijust wrapp aroundthe reeland snap it

15. Love Them Cats

Love Them Cats New Member

State:
    Vinita, Oklahoma
    On some of my lines, I can wrap it around my hand, and the other ones I use a pair of needle nose pliers and wrap the line around it a couple times.

Ken

16. outoftheboat

outoftheboat Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Around the handle works great for me as previously stated.

17. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    I have 50lb mono and supperline braid on most of my reels and 80 mono on one so I keep a small stick in my tackle box to break line with.

18. TONTO

TONTO New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    I keep a 2' section of a cut off garden hoe in my boat. Wrap the line around it and pull. Works great for the superlines, also good for wacking gars.

19. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    i reel up tight grab the line between the reel and the first eye and wrap it around the rod a few times then pull hard sometimes it will pull loose sometimes it will move what ever its hung on and i can reel it in quick by letting go the line

Attached Files:

20. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    i dont fish with anything over 20 lbs test but I just tighen my drag all the way and start playing tug of war. sometimes I win. sometimes I have to jump out of the way from an artilery round.