whats your main veg item in the garden

Discussion in 'Garden Tips And Talk' started by JERMSQUIRM, Feb 21, 2008.

whats the main or favorite

1. p-blossoms

2. peppers

3. tomatoes

4. onions

5. okra

6. corn

7. asparagus

8. zuchinni

9. other

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    with this growing season approching lets see your fav or the main thing you grow. i have tons but main reason has been one well two but pumpkin blossoms and zuchinni were what got me going. grandmas was always so good and when i moved out i had to have em. now that grams and paps is getting older, still grow a small garden but i take her zuchinni now.

but mostly peppers now. and maters. i make 50+ jars of salsa per season.

2. boogie

boogie New Member

State:
    east tennessee,maryville
    okra,cucumbers for pickleing and tomatoes for the table,i like putting out some of the english cucumbers for the table....the rest of the garden is whatever the boss lady wants me to put out that year...but the first 3 i gotta have :big_smile:

3. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    ive had mixed luck with okra. i started growing a few years ago. got 9' tall and i had tons. next year it got 2' tall and pods were spiny and very few. last year didnt do much and jap beetles ate leaves. i love garden fresh okra. soon as the tomatoes and peppers i just put in peat pots today get ready for soil cups im gonna start okra. already got seeds.

4. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Lemon pepper cukes and zukes, Pumpkin Blossoms for me! wife does the okra and then pickles them at about 3-31/2 to 4 inches or so, Bell peppers for stuffing, little one (daughter 9) does her Giant sun flowers for the birds i winter, and water melon, cantaloupe, strawberries. Does real well at it I might add. I like to pick up 1 or 2 off the wall items each spring just to see, LOL last year done a row of them 3 foot beans that was different let me tell ya :eek:oooh: and some red raspberry sweet corn, was actually good, stained everything like mulberry too :smile2:
    Randy

5. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    I suppose I'll have to go with corn ,but green beans are a close sec however they are not on the list.
    I may be wrong on this but I was always told that Tomatoes was a fruit not a veg.Correct me if I'm wrong.

6. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    shoot. i dont eat green beans. i really should have had that on there. well i knew i would forget a good one thats why i put the other in. even thought i despise beans it should have been there.:confused2:

7. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    you may be right, but dont get technical,lol. sorry. i forgot green beans. there are a major one too.

8. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    It is tomatoes for me. Green beans are next. You cant buy good green beans. Next is beets and peppers. Mostly sweet bells.

Now for corn . That is for the corn field. We always plant 4 rows of sweet corn along the corn field . That way it gets all the fertilizer and herbicide so it does good. We usually have 300 yard long rows. Planted at 30000 seeds an acre it really adds up. Always have to much but love to give it away to friends and family.

9. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    You are not wrong about the maters being a fruit.
    I always have more mater plants than anything in my garden but I do have cucumbers, jalepenos, Bell peppers, green beans, lettuce, spinach and several herbs.
    :big_smile:

10. Reel_Blues

Reel_Blues New Member

State:
    Virginia
    It just would'nt be a garden without tomatoes!!

11. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I went with okra ,but I grow peppers ,onions,squash [of some kind] tomatosand garlic every year love my salsa ,and my pickled okra and peppers pickled and fresh.

12. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    I used to plant a lot of different thing. Anymore, corn is the biggest crop, followed by green beens. I also get a lot of cucumbers and tomatoes. Most everything else has gone by the wayside over time.

13. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I voted with the majority...Tomatoes!!!:crazy::smile2:

If I had a bigger yard or at least better ground I'd love to have a small to medium sized garden. Nothing like fresh veggies, Especially Maters(LOL) straight outta the garden. Especially when you grew it yourself. Thats a good feeling!:wink::big_smile:

14. rwilley3

rwilley3 New Member

State:
    Brighton, Tenne
    I voted corn with peaches and cream sweet corn being my favorite. I usually have more okra than I want to pick when I'm done although last year mine was short and spindly as well. I also plant a buch of tomatoes but I consider then vegtables even though they may technically be fruit

15. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Tomatoes is my favorite because I use them in everything.

16. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    wish i could say maters AND peppers cuz thats the way it is gottu have them both :big_smile: :cool2:

17. gargoil77

gargoil77 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Indiana
    Maters being #1 then peppers. Mainly jalopeno and bell. Okra, squash, cukes and green onions are there too. No garden last year but I'll definitely will have one this year.

18. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I voted for the tomatoes. I also enjoy Peppers, Onions and etc. Thanks for the question.

19. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Dang, i like it all. Maters are prolly my favorite though. Can't wait till i get some fryed green one's,

20. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Pole beans yellow/Kentucky wonder/purple pod Yum mm Yum mm. Get some jaw bacon, onions and them pole beans. Yummmm Yum mm. We grow mater's too. I plant a lot of watermelons, pumpkins and fall squash. I like to bust 2-3 melons a day for the chickens and geese. Even my wifes stupid horse likes watermelon. I love to eat the hearts out of them.

I give away pumpkins and gourds and Indian corn in the fall, our whole neighborhood is decorated. I think every kid needs a pumpkin. LOL

I make a lot of stewed tomatoes and salsa. We freeze green beans and sweet corn.

I'm so ready for spring and my garden you folks would not believe. Last year my kidneys tryed quitting about the time I needed to be tilling between the melons, pumpkins and gourds, so I lost that whole patch. All we had was our early garden's tomato's, beans, asparagus's , beets and sweet potatoes.

We still have snow on the ground here and the ground is froze too. The lakes have 12" of ice on them.

Where's SPRING?????????????????????