Whats your largest catfish on small fishing line?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by catmanofohio, Mar 11, 2006.

1. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    Hey everyone this is where u can tell us about ur close call experiences of almost loosing that nice fish... What is the biggest fish u have caught on the smallest line, and LANDED?

2. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    Mine would have to be at my buddies house last year, in late summer. His pond used to be an old p.a.y.l.a.k.e and we were just getting ready to climb into the tent and let our poles out over night, when i decided to put on a small hook on my friends pole and try to catch a crappie for bait, the hook was a minnow hook or crappie hook and the minnow was a crappie minnow. the pole was about 5 foot and only had the first and the last eyelet. the line was 6 pound line that was about 10 years old.. when i casted out by the cat-tails with a small bobber and waited. Remember this was at about 3:00am. When all of a sudden it took off, so i grabbed it and set the hook, my older friend brad was there and was watching reminding me that the line was old so play it good.... IT WAS A CATFISH!!!! so i fought this mighty beast for about 15 good long mins. when i got him to bank and told my friend to grab the pole while i reach in and grab him. When i got him out of the water, SNAP the line broke with ease lol.. good thing he was in my hands*SHEW* close call the cat was a shovel head about 17 pounds and that is GREAT on 10 year old 6lb test on a pole with only 2 eyelets lol....this is the closest i have ever come to loosing a cat that i actually landed

3. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    Come on guys i know someone on this website has caught a fish before in their lifetime i didnt say it had to be a whopper just the biggest fish u have caught on small line... i have caught a 35+ shovelhead and i posted about a 17 pounder!!!!

4. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    caught a 23lb flat once fishing in one of "those lakes" while i was trying to catch bait. was using an uncle bucks 10ft crappie pole and 3lb test. and yes it was hooked in the mouth! fought him for over an hour and eventually won the weekend tournament with that fish.

5. Coloman

Coloman New Member

State:
    Soddy Daisy, Tn
    8 lb blue 4 lb test

33" brown 4lb leader in white water.

6. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    5# on 4# stren, the purple box, caught when bass fishing.

Danny

7. tfish442003

tfish442003 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    5lbs on 4lbs test just today it was a blast

8. wishiwasfishin

wishiwasfishin New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I'm thinking around 8 pound test line and a channel that weighted 17 pounds.i was catching bluegill when wham..oh it was on.the pole was like a 5 footer and a small spinning reel.i thought he was going to smoke the reel but as luck would have it i won the battle :)

9. Damian_Storm

Damian_Storm New Member

State:
    indiana
    i was at the river one day trying to get some gills and ended up with a 14 lb. blue on 4 # test..heck of a ride on the ultra light !!

10. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    i once caught a 20 pound flathead on a 6' heavy action bass rod with 8 pound test line. Man, everytime i got him near the bank he would run back out. It was a great fight that lasted about 10 minutes

11. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    i caught a 2.5 bass on a microlight quantam spincombo with 4 lb test line that was some kinda fun

12. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I caught a 9# channel on my micro lite spooled with 4#. My wife was with me, and kept asking where is it now? every time it took drag! lol :rolleyes: The best part was I landed him with out a net! We were both pretty tired.

13. flathead_ky

flathead_ky New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Caught a 8lb Blue while fishing for bait once on 4# line. That was one of the best fights ever!

14. Rainman4u2

Rainman4u2 Guest

Caught a 3lb channel on 4lb test and a 5' ultralight pole.

Ray

15. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    I caught a 45lb. channel on sewing thread and a stick one time.........OK it was a 6lb. channel on cane pole with 4lb. test. I was brim fishing in a farm pond, man that was fun.

16. Duane

Duane New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Ive caught 12lb cat on 8lb test at a pay lake but i REGULARLY FISH WITH A MEDIUM ACTION 7 FOOT ROD WITH 12 LB TEST FOR MY CATFISH TRIPS WITH A ABU 4600 REEL .Just let them tire out and set the lightest drag

17. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    My was about 2 years ago while fishing for cats I saw something make a huge wake in the water near the bank along a weed bed. Well after this happened about 3 times I put a large shiner on a bass rig with 12 pound line and pitched it over. Well it took off and to my surprise it was not a bass. It was a 48 pound flathead. That fish pulled that little 14-foot boat we were in circles like a toy. I am not sure how I keep it from hanging me in some limes or brush but man that was some kind of fun. That is also my largest catfish.

18. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    Wow gator Excellent catch... congrats on that

19. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    My personal best is not even good enought to talk about. However, I remember the Daily Oklahoman newspaper ran an article about six - seven years ago about a gentleman bank fishing at Texhoma with 6 lb test line. Seems as though he caught a flathead of about 106 pounds. Got it in too. Perhaps some of the Okies or Texans will remember that article and chime in.

20. r_bray89

r_bray89 New Member

State:
    Shawnee, Kansas
    A 5ish lb catfish on a 4lb crappie line it was fun until it broke the end of my crappie rod and broke the line as i got him out of the water and ont he dock.