What's your hog gun?

Discussion in 'Hog Hunting' started by south_va_fisherman, Nov 27, 2006.

1. south_va_fisherman

south_va_fisherman New Member

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    I am planning on go hog hunting with a buddy of mine, and would like to know what kind of guns you guys are using. i plan on taking my Marlin .32 special.

2. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Hey Charley is that the family gun past down to you posted about before?
    You should know if you don't already that it's a real heirloom and very valuable as a collectors piece. The 32 special is a round from the late 1800's. With the success of cowboy action shooting across america it's even more in demand by collectors, some who only collect antique lever guns. Just thought I'd say something in case you were unaware. Good hunting.
    :smile2:

3. Catmansc2006

Catmansc2006 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I would recommend nothing smaller than a 30:06 with at least a 180 grain bullet. Anything smaller and you will wound it as boars have thick pad of cartilidge cover their ribs. If wounded it turns into a really nasty animal. I personally use a 338 Win Mag with 225 grain bullet. I was on boar hunt with dogs and gentleman shot the boar at 25 yards with 30:30. Did not kill it instantly, and the boar ended up killing 3 of the 5 dogs. Man ended up paying nearly $1000.00 each for every dog killed. If you are going on a guided hunt, ask the outfitter what you should use. If not, then go big, then go bigger. Take my word on it.

4. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Yep, big is good, and I would add, use solid point bullets.

That said, I have killed a dozen, or so, with .22 sub-sonic 40 gr solid. These were all at short range, over bait, with a good rest. All but one were shot in the ear...the one right between the eyes.

The soft report of the .22 doesn't spook the pigs like a big centerfire does. I once killed four from the same group.

5. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I havent had the chance to hunt hogs much but the few times i did i used either my 12 ga with slugs or my 30-30 as the area is verry brushy

6. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    ive never heard of anyone hog hunting with a .22 but your statement makes alot of sense id just think youd have to be somewhat close. i used an AR 15 once (civiallian version of the M-16) ive also used a 30-30 both worked pretty well. just hit them through the ear or bewteen the eyes

7. savage308

savage308 New Member

State:
    Victoria, Texas
    The only time I would recommend using a .22 is when they're taking them in the trap. Whatever gun you use for deer hunting will work as long as your confident you can put the bullet where you aim. 95% of the time when I'm hunting hogs is with my .308 savage. When I hunt in the hill country the shots can reach 200-300yrds and I use my Rem. 7mm Mag for the knock down. I've also taken several with my .243

The key to a quick kill is putting the bullet where you want it and having confidence in your gun and scope. Whatever you kill a deer with will take a good size hog down in it's tracks. If it is brushy country I'd carry a pistol as a secondary sidearm for close encounters.

Hope you get a big one. Good luck.

8. south_va_fisherman

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    I had no idea the gun was that valuable. i think my granddad bought around 1904-8. well no gun collectors are getting anywhere near it as long as im alive. thanks for the info.

9. gsbrown00

gsbrown00 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Are you going to go after the hogs with dogs or are you just waiting for them? If you are using dogs it might change what you prefer. I know someone who likes to trap them also.

10. south_va_fisherman

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    yeah i have a buddy who does this. imo not the best way, but it works fine. he uses the CCI quick shoks behind the eye. he shot a 210lber from 34 yards last year. put the bullet directly throught its eye. ill tell you what that guy has some balls. he will go out with a single shot .22lr and shoot hogs

11. south_va_fisherman

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia

no, bait stations

12. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I like a good bow, with a .45ACP for backup!

13. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Charles, we dont hunt in my neck of the woods anymore... In fact I've pretty well have quit hunting with all the land that I use to hunt in being taken over for this and that. If I did go, I'd use my lever action Winchester Model 94 32 WS. Nice rifle, I'd rather not use a scope... I'm more of a "bow hunter", but have given that up since all my hunting buddies have left Calif.

bayrunner ray