What's your goto river setup?

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by bnt55, May 22, 2008.

1. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    I have been doing some searching around in order to get a good idea on the "best" way to rig my bait (shad) for cats. It would seem everyone has their own best way of doing things, which is normal I suppose but I would like to know from the KY guys which rig works best in our rivers. I have all my rods setup with a carolina rig right now which aways seem to get snagged on the mighty Ohio R., I have seen the slip bobber technique but with the "up and downs" in the river bottom, I can't imagine that working to well. I drew up a little diagram showing the idea...can't remember what its called but it should work.:wink:

Attached Files:

• rig.jpg
      rig.jpg
      File size:
      4.8 KB
      Views:
  2. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Hi Bill, I'm not from ky but what You have drawn there is a 3-way swivel sinker rig and I use it here in Iowa on the Missouri River which is a fast flowing River 4/6 miph.and we have snags from Hell especially when you fish heavy cover. the trick when using this rig is to keep your dropper line (sinker) of a lighter weight than your main line,if you are using 40 pound test main line then make your dropper line 15 pounds,that way if you do get snagged up which will happen you will only lose your weight. it's what they call a sacrifice rig.Now depending on how fast the current is dictates how long I make My leader,the faster the current the shorter the leader,most times I keep My leaders 12 to 18 inches long. Hope this helps. Also A Big ol Welcome to the BOC From Iowa.J.D.

3. river1214rat

river1214rat New Member

State:
    West Point, KY
    Bil...that is what I use in the Ohio and, knock on wood, haven't lost my rig with fewer hang-ups since I switched. Good diagram you made. She is starting to go down, so hopefully she will stabilize soon. Fishing has really been bad here. :embarassed:

Lilnda

4. seahaggy

seahaggy New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Thats a pretty good setup but you can also use this setup.On the main line (mine is 30 lb) tie a barrel swivel a good size one and don't use the brass kind they are not as strong.Then tie a second line a lighter one say 10 or 15 lb to the bottom of your barrel swivel.You can make this second (leader) line short like 6" or maybe up to couple feet in length.Slide a small bead on this line than put a no roll sinker on(They are a flat sinker) i use anywhere from a ounce up to 6 ounces for my size on this sinker being the swifter the current the more weight and the less liter line.Next add another bead then tie your hook on.The reason for the beads is as the sinker slides up and down the beads will protect your tie knots with a little cushion.The swifter the current the shorter the leader.The more snags the shorter the leader also.

5. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    here is a better picture, I guess what I am getting at is trying to keep the precious bait out of the river muck and suspended 18" off the river bottom by using a bobber of sorts. Can I just retrofit a regular small bobber to work this way or do they make a float especially for this use? I bet this would work for stripers or any fish for that matter (maybe walleyes?!! yummmm)

btw river1214rat I will be out this weekend come heck or high water (no pun intended). I will post up my fishing report come Monday.

Thanks for the info guys, can't wait to try her out.

Bill

Attached Files:

• rig.jpg
      rig.jpg
      File size:
      8.5 KB
      Views:
  6. firechief4201

firechief4201 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, Kentucky
    Bill, Make sure that the line from the three way to you sinker is 4 to 8lbs. test so that if you get snagged. That way all you lose is a sinker. I got a lot of help with that rig when I first came to the BOC. I use a slip sinker rig most but if I'm fishing a place with a lot of snags I use a three way. The rivers I fish is the Ohio and Big Sandy if your ever in East KY give me a yell and I'll try to help you some fishing spots.

7. seahaggy

seahaggy New Member

State:
    kentucky
    The setup you have pictured will work just fine.I just never liked the three way deal.No special bobber that i know of for your setup.Looks like you are ready to fish.Good luck and let the brothers know how you did.

8. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
  9. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Try Comal Tackle's Cigar Floats C250 size I think. They work great. You can call them and order in bulk and also get a bulk bag of extra pegs to peg the other end. They are reasonably priced and work great.

Here is a link:

http://www.comaltackle.com/catalog/peg_flt.html

10. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    Went out this morning and caught 1 3lb channel and about 30 hybrid bass!! it was incredible not too mention fun:big_smile:. Attached is a picture of the 5 I kept to fillet out for a fishfry. Thanks for all the advise!!!

Bill

Attached Files:

11. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    :crazy:
    "Nice Job Bill" & "That a nice photo of you and your fishing Buddy". :0010:
    :wink:

12. BEHITJ

BEHITJ New Member

State:
    Wentzville
    That rig is good but to make it even better tie it up like this.
    1. tie a 6-8 inch piece of mono to your weight and to a swivel ( 20lb test)
    2. run your main line through the swivel that you tied to the weight
    3. tie a another swivel to your main line
    4. then tie your leader line onto that swivel then to the hook( leader 12-24 inches)

this rig will alow your bait to stay on the bottom but let your main line slip through your weight so the fish never feels it. Trust me on this one it works great it's all me and my buddies use here in Missouri and I would use it anywhere in the world. :big_smile:

13. Foam Steak

Foam Steak New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Do you use this rig in heavy current? How do you allow enough slack so the fish can pull the bait without feeling the weight, but at the same time keep the current from either pulling your bait downstream or putting a huge bow in your line?

Thanks

14. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
  15. BEHITJ

BEHITJ New Member

State:
    Wentzville
    Yes I do use this rig in the heaviest of current and in slack water. In the current you won't have slack in your line and when the fish hits it in the current they hook themselves most of the time.I always fish tight line in the current and in slack water I leave just enough slack in my lie for the fish to run just alittle I never freespool fish.The fish won't feel the weight because the main line runs through a swivel thats tied to your weight and then tied to another swivel then to your leader and hook.Your leader that has the weight on it tied to the first swivel slides up and down your main line and is stopped by the swivel that's tied inbetween your main and your hook leader.This is a deadly setup trust me. Sorry if this is alittle confusing it would be better if I could draw it.If you need help on this send me a PM and I can get you my Phone # or get yours and talk it over with you on the phone.Hope this helps you.:big_smile::big_smile::big_smile:

16. BEHITJ

BEHITJ New Member

State:
    Wentzville
  17. iluvcatfishin

iluvcatfishin New Member

State:
    Kentucky

Im definitely going to use this setup. How well will it work with live bait as far as the live bait tangling in the main line?