What's your favorite variety of tomato and why?

Discussion in 'Garden Tips And Talk' started by boswifedeb, Feb 6, 2009.

1. boswifedeb

boswifedeb USCA Jailhouse Lawyer

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Debbie
    What's you favorite? Daddy used to get Better Boys and a yellow tomato that I can't remember the name of. How about y'all?

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I like the Delicious tomato for sandwiches. Very sweet. I like to mix this tomato and Roma for canning juice. Just to pick off the vine and eat I prefer the large Cherry tomatoes. Your making me hungry. Thanks.

3. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I really cant pick just one favorite tomato....I like them all! I grow bradleys, better boys, early girls, celebrity, Porterhouse, beefsteak, yellow pear, and usually sweet 100's. And any other breed I can come up with some of the seeds!!! I love garden grown toatoes!:smile2:

4. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    I grow a variety every year Early Girls and Big Boys for sure. For cherrie tomatoes I have been going with Sweet Baby Girl. Real sweet tomato. Put a bowl out and people eat them like candy.

5. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    For canning,,, Roma's and Big Boy's,, for eating little yellow cherry tomato's,, sweeter than the red cherry's...

Last year I planted a couple flats of mixed tomato's and the Ox heart type did real well too.

The white tomato's,, I never could figure when they were ripe, so they rotted.

Old fashioned Rutgers are great too. I had a big yellow variety that did fantastic also,, really went nut's bearing.

Hey I like em all,, I'm ready for some tomato sandwiches with butter and fresh toasted bread. Yum Yum

6. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    My favorite is any of the cherrie tomatoes or pear type,I cant grow nothin else :smile2::smile2::smile2:

7. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Make good targets on top of fence post. Nah, just kidding.

Like Richard, I have sometimes a hard time growing them and like OhNo I like 'em all.

Actually found a new one at the store the other day. One called Campani. Small round tomato, excellent flavor, garden raised flavor, with a meaty interior. gonna order some seed and try 'em.

8. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Beef steak to eat buy them self's with a little salt... roma's and cherrie for salad...and mantina right off the vine are excellent

9. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Didnt have much luck last year, think I started late and was too hot for the cherries. Got them started already with jubilee roma and big mama, hope they grow.

10. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    I like the Big Boy Better than any other red tomato.Like the yellow ones also .Not as much acid in them.

11. gdlocal10

gdlocal10 New Member

State:
    kansas
    my grandad used to cross beafsteak and big boy, or high boys, anyways he was a great tomato grower, sure do miss him.And he was a die hard catfish man:smile2::smile2:

12. boswifedeb

boswifedeb USCA Jailhouse Lawyer

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Debbie
    Thanks for all the feedback, guys!:tounge_out:

13. CuzICan

CuzICan New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, A
    Me too John, My John grew me a few one year and I really liked them! I like the little cherry tomatoes too.

14. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Marglobe and Roma without question these two have the best flavor

15. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    I like big red ripe tomatoes. I like mine dead ripe not pink. We grow
    Beefsteak, Betterboys, and Atchinson . Atchinson are the best for canning
    they grow a little bigger than a baseball and have a small core. Roma
    are the best when you have to buy in the winter. Roma are small but
    they have a good taste even when grown in a hothouse.

16. Katfish Kern

Katfish Kern New Member

State:
    Florida
    How is it possible to pick just one??? I love them greeen,red, pink, yellow...come to think of it I love them all.

GO VOLS

17. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    ROMA 100%

i hate the jelly crap in them. i dont eat them on burgers very seldom on tacos. i do use diced in chili but i like em small. i make and love salsa. make 50+ jars a year from sweet peach to @$$ blistering hot XXXXXXXX. and after growing roma ill use nothing else. there very few seeds and mostly beef.

18. shadguts

shadguts New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I personally like mine very acidic. Like the juice as much as the meat I guess. I've grown better boys every year for a while now and like them. Last year I grew some heirlooms called indian rivers and they were my favorites. Wished I'd saved some seed. Hope I can find some more this year.