Whats your favorite turkey call?

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by onlyone, Apr 6, 2006.

1. onlyone

onlyone New Member

State:
    SE Kansas
    I need to go buy a call before next Wednesday. What kind--slate, friction, mouth? Also, do any of you guys bait turkeys?

2. TeamCatHazzard

TeamCatHazzard New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have been trying to master a mouth call and think that is prolly my favorite. Not the easiet, but the easiest to use by yourself. As far as baiting, hmmm thats a little illegal buts its amazing how much it helps to keep corn in an area and the turkeys will flock to it.:)

3. onlyone

onlyone New Member

State:
    SE Kansas
    Ya I checked into that. Its only illegal to bait mirgratory game birds here in Kansas. I know thats kind of "iffy" in some place though.

4. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    The best one that i use by my self is a mouth call from H.S. Strut its the raspy hen, only about 4.00 at walmart. I like the sounds of friction calls but harder to use with only one person.

5. Drum Andersen

Drum Andersen New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    The raspy hen by H.S. Strut is an excellent turkey call.

6. brian sax

brian sax New Member

State:
    shawnee kansas
    well since you dont have long enough to really practice the call, i would say get a friction call of some type. I think a push button would work great. To some people they seem kinda negative like only bad hunters use them, yet you can master them in 15 minutes and call in a bird just as good as a mouth. Personaly i would also buy a mouth call, they are by far one call you NEED to master. i know knight and hale makes some good push buttons if you look into them. As far as mouth calls, buy one that is raspy, then one that isnt so raspy. Just look around a local store and pick one out you think would work for you. As far as my favorite, i would have to say my premos original mouth call.

7. tkyhnt

tkyhnt New Member

State:
    Missouri
    The push pull call would not be a bad choice as its extreamly easy to master and you can get a good one that will mount directly to the gun as to lessen the movement once the bird gets in close. Just a soft cluck and he'll raise his head high for you. I have been using mouth calls for years and never leave for the woods without one, but with only a couple days before the season starts I would stay away from using them in the woods but do get a couple, find one that fits and start praticing. I am partial to the Pittman mouth calls, just a better feel. Good luck and post us a pick.

8. dwreel

dwreel New Member

State:
    Southern Pines, NC
    COME AND GET IT. Sorry guys, the devil made me to it. :grin-big:

9. hunterman1971

hunterman1971 New Member

State:
    Ky
    I myself love a mouth call.. a good mouth call if you can use one can be good to use because sometimes that old wise bird comes in not making a sound and can see you move if you are using a box call or slate call..now don't get me wrong a box call or slate are good but you need to practice with all calls to be good just have fun

10. MilwaukeeCatHunter

MilwaukeeCatHunter New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    Wish I had enough talent to master a mouth call so I could have both hands free while hunting. Until then, friction call all I use. Sometimes, I just sit quiet too and find an ambush site.

11. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    here turkey, turkey, turkey. LOL