What's Your Favorite Sauger Bait/Lure?

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by Camo Fish, Nov 10, 2009.

1. Camo Fish

Camo Fish New Member

State:
    United States
    My go to bait is a 3/8 to 3/4 oz jig/curly tail combination with a #10 stinger hook tipped with a Rosie Red chub minnow. I use a jigging spoon or silver buddy blade bait up to 1 1/4 oz as a search bait. 013.jpg

2. Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Kentucky
    well paul you bout got it covered!

thats a good choice! that silver buddy though, will also yeild some nice stripers too!

3. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    depending on if im below the dam or the mouth of a creek depends on what size jig jead i use. normally around 1/2 ounce jig head with a white curly tail tipped with a minnow. Sometimes i just use the curly tail depending if they are biting good. and sometimes i can only use a minnow. but i normally always start with white curly tail tipped with minnow

4. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Take me fishing ! One of theese days I will learn sauger fishing as opposed to catching one on accident !:wink:

5. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    I use a 3/8 oz to 1/2 oz hair jig in slack waters. Rest of the time it takes 1 oz or better to get on bottom here on the Upper end of Ky lake at Pickwick.
    http://www.wildwolfproducts.com/saugerjigs.htm This is what the jigs I use look like.
    Pete

6. festus

festus New Member

I like those gum ball colored jigs by Northland, about 1/2 oz size tipped with about a 3" or 4" creek chub or shiner of about the same size. The chubs seem more effective, but they are sometimes more difficult to keep alive. I also like the Kalin's John Deere Tractor colored 3" twistertail grubs. But I've caught them on Sidewinder and Hopkins spoons, along with a few crankbaits. And as some of you've already mentioned, I seem to catch sauger by accident while fishing for something else.

7. catfish_clayton

catfish_clayton New Member

State:
    Catania, Italy,
    3/4oz curl tail

8. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    been catching them on 1/4 oz round jig heads with a white jig tipped with a minnow (which does not have to be alive as long as you are imparting action). I actually have caught quite a few by cutting up ribbon pieces of shad and putting that on the jig hook and moving up and down about 3" from the bottom, I believe they are just looking for the smell and action.

Attached Files:

9. oldheavyd

oldheavyd New Member

State:
    Indiana
    When I am talked into freezing my butt off and fishing for them i prefer a pink curly tail tipped with minnow. And when I use pink i seem to trigger a harder hit

10. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Curly tail jig, often with a pink head. Weight according to water.
    I don't think they see it as much a "feel" it go by.

I have one spot were white roostertails drug just above the bottom are the snitz, unfortunately it is also a spinner eating spot, bring plenty.

I don't tip much,, if I have minnows, I use them straight. I have also had luck just dragging a nightcrawler across the bottom.

11. kvonn0001

kvonn0001 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I went 2 weeks ago-Used a half oz. white jighead tipped with a minnow-Got skunked!!! -Kurt

12. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    I have heard that the sauger do not start up the creeks/smaller rivers until the water hit the 50 degree mark or lower can anyone verify this? I have been catching a few here and there but nothing that says they are grouping up.