What's your favorite rig/bait for channel catfish?

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by Diego, Aug 11, 2006.

1. Diego

Diego New Member

State:
    California
    If I feel like catching as many as I can, regardless of size, I use a spinning rod with 30# power pro, a 15# mono surf rig (see attachment), #2 lazer sharp hooks, just enough weight to hold bottom or very slowly drift, and nightcrawlers threaded on with a worm threader. The power pro line is extremely sensitive and I can see even the smallest nibble. For me, this means better hook sets and less gullet hooked fish. This rig catches a lot of cats in the 1 to 5 pound class.

But, if I'm hunting for a big cat or striper, I use a bait caster on a 8 and 1/2 rod, 30# power pro, and a sliding sinker setup with a 30# power pro leader and 5/0 octopus hook. For bait I prefer something freshly caught from the same waters I'm fishing; bluegill, squawfish, etc. I use magic thread to hold the cut bait on the hook so that the hook bend and point stick out from the bait. I leave the reel in freespool with the clicker on and set the wood to em' when the clicker goes off. This setup catches larger fish.

However, I'm always looking to improve my technique. Lately I've been experimenting with small styrofoam floats on the leader to float the bait off the bottom. I haven't had much luck, though.

What's your favorite rig?

Attached Files:

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I use both rigs but on the surf rig I only use one hook and make the lead line about 5-7 inches long and I use live bait. I also like the carolina rig for live and cut bait. I also enjoy useing a slip bobber rig.

3. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Same here. Slip bobber rig is great in the summer too.

4. Mountaineer

Mountaineer New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    My favorite rig for fishing channels is just your basic splitshot on bottom, then a #6 Eagle Claw leadered hook about 10" up from the splitshot. Not really a catfishing rig, but we use it with Red Worms wading in front of a dam spillway on the "cat wall" and have had great success with it for the small eater cats!

5. Pigcat71

Pigcat71 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    3 way swivel rig, slip rig, and somtimes no weight at all........

rock bottom rivers claimed a many of my hooks and sinkers......
    the 3 way swivel rig with 4-lb line attaching the weight to the rig breaks easily...so when I get stuck (usually the sinker catches under a rock) only have to replace the sinker when i get a break off....

6. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I use a slip rig for all my fishing, usually 30-lb biggame line, 8/0 circle hook, and fresh cut bait. abu reels, and uglystik tiger rods.

7. Katphish

Katphish New Member

State:
    tennessee
    egg sinker, swivel, 3/0 khale, using bluegill heads as bait. caught a nice one on it last night 25" and about 9 lbs.

8. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    I use a slip rig and three way depending on where I'm fishing.

9. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I use a carolina rig and shrimp would be my bait of choice for channels....

10. BowtechTomkat

BowtechTomkat New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Here lately a caralina rig with chicken livers has been what has been working for me.

11. buckmasterben3

buckmasterben3 New Member

State:
    wv
    i use a threeway rig with a no. 2 treble or a slip rig with a 14/0

12. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I use the "Buffet Plan". I put out 5-6 rods with different kinds of bait and see what's selling.

13. Wildchilde01

Wildchilde01 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I do like Billie, I put out 5 rods 1 ultra light w/6 lb test (hehe) 2 medium (one spincast, one spinning) with 18 lb test, and 2 Med Heavys with 25 and 30 lb test.

I rig a modifyed carolina rig on 50lb test that has a 3 way swivel , one end connects me to the line one end has a 8 inch leader with a #2 mustad circle and float to keep it off the ground and the other end has the actual carolina style rig on a 12" leader with a 1/2 or 1 ounce sinker but no float. I put this on the med heavys and bait one with Cliver and the other with cut bream or bluegill. Another good thing about this rig I have found is if you take the float off its easy to fish a live gill at the same time you got a dead one on provided you tightline it.

This gives me 2 presentations. one dead on bottom and one a little further up. Its supriseing how often some nights one bait never gets touched while the other may catch 30 fish.

on the other 3 rigs I use a standard carolina or bobber rig and bait with Magic Cat shad doughbait and Cat King Cliver doughbait. I don't use a slipbobber the same way you guys do, of course I am uneducated on them and while George's video helped me some, I still can't get that dang knot right.

BTW 5lb cats on ultralight tackle are the win people!!

14. Diego

Diego New Member

State:
    California
    I like the buffet idea but unfortunately here in California it is illegal to fish rivers with more than one pole.

Hey wildchild, how do you rig your float with your circle hook? Do you just slide it on the leader?

I, too, have no idea how to fish for cats using a slip bobber. How do you keep it from snagging up on the bottom when the depth changes? Doesn't the float make it difficult to set the hook?

15. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana
    Open faced reels, 15lb line, if fishing on the bottom I use a sliding sinker set up, if I'm fishing top water ,then it's a slip bobber ,sinker, and live bait

16. primitive

primitive Member

State:
    Dav. Ia.
    I use the same rigs these others use, but the last six or seven cats I've caught were on shad guts. couple on shrimp, couple on fresh liver and a couple on catalpa worms. Shad guts caught the biggest (9#) and the most in the last four or five weeks.

17. Wildchilde01

Wildchilde01 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I rig it with 2 glass beads, one becomes a stopper for the top of the bobber and one becomes a stopper for the egg sinker if I use one at all.

Snagging does happen but I am lucky in that most spots I fish I don't have to drag my bait across the structure and I can just fish around it.

18. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    A No-Roll Sinker, Bead, Swivel & a 4/0 or 6/0 Khale Hook with cut or live bait & the same set-up but only with a Dip-Bait Worm when I use Stink-Bait.

Take it easy,
    Bert:cool2: & Shaina:0010:

:worship: :0a23:
    Bert & Phil

19. Diego

Diego New Member

State:
    California
    Hey Shaina, your sig says "All of my posts are in memory of "MR. Phillip (Deltalover) Gaines"." Is he no longer with us?

20. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    Yea Diego - I'm sad to say he's no longer with us. :sad2:

Take it easy,
    Bert:cool2: & Shaina:0010:

:worship: :0a23:
    Bert & Phil