What's your favorite pork dry rub?

Discussion in 'The BOC Diner' started by NCCatter, Apr 4, 2017.

1. NCCatter

NCCatter Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I used a homemade one a few weeks ago, but interested in trying out some others on Boston butt. Don't have a smoker yet, so I'm having to bake in the oven for now.

2. vortex

vortex Twirlygig

State:
    Missouri
    Name:
    Luke
    1C coarse black pepper
    1C kosher salt
    1/3C paprika
    1/3C garlic powder
    1/3C new mexico chili (ground into powder)

R. D. Hilton and SHOWME like this.

3. Snagman23

Snagman23 Active Member

State:
    Missouri
    Name:
    Sam
    To that I would add brown sugar, onion powder, cayenne pepper and something for a smoky flavor(cumin, smoked paprika).
    You'll probably just kill it with a carolina vinegar sauce anyways..:biggrin1:
    Didn't know there was any other way to cook one other than in a smoker!! When I smoke one I use liquids also.(honey, hot sauce, apple cider, brown sugar, butter, etc..)

SHOWME likes this.
  4. NCCatter

NCCatter Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I usually inject with apple juice then cover the outside with mustard to make the rub stick. I want to go with something smokier next time.

5. D_Weezy

D_Weezy Active Member

State:
    Ohio
    Name:
    Dale
    I never understood rubbing wet mustard all over the meat to make the rub stick. I think the key to mine is, I let it set in the refrigerator overnight with the rub on. I guess it sticks on by itself that way. I could see if you were trying to do it all in one day, you might need something to make the rub hold better.

You might want to look into building your own smoker. The Ugly Drum Smoker is a proven design that seems to work very well. That being said, I am lazy and built A propane powered Ugly Drum Smoker. I can set the temp and let it go. It has a thermocouple shut-off in-case the flame goes out. The way I designed it, I've used it in 30mph winds without any problems. Better safe than sorry though.

Magic Dust BBQ Rub
    Ingredients:
    1⁄2 cup paprika
    1⁄4 cup kosher salt (Sea salt also works fine, but DO NOT use Iodized salt)
    1⁄4 cup sugar (you can use brown sugar or use white sugar for a little less sweetness)
    2 tablespoons mustard powder
    1⁄4 cup chili powder
    1⁄4 cup ground cumin
    2 tablespoons ground black pepper
    1⁄4 cup granulated garlic
    2 tablespoons cayenne pepper ( I never use this much. Try 1 teaspoon first and taste the mixture. Add 1 teaspoon at a time, tasting in-between until you get your right amount of heat.)

This is an excellent rub. I use it all of the time.

[video=youtube;GMjusMZdt0E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMjusMZdt0E[/video]

[video=youtube;rEnLw7-6cV4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEnLw7-6cV4[/video]

R. D. Hilton and SHOWME like this.
  6. hibankerjack

hibankerjack Well-Known Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    Name:
    Jack
    Slopping mustard on it does add flavor. I do it with and without, prefer with. Salt, pepper, cayenne, paprika, chili powder, brown sugar, red pepper flake. I don't measure, but I'd say 3 parts salt, 2 parts chili, 2 parts paprika, 1 part brown sugar, and the hot stuff to taste. Heavy on the black pepper. The smoke takes a lot of the heat out of the hot stuff. Y'all can keep that vinegar\pepper solution you call sauce. Mine don't need it ;)

R. D. Hilton and brucec like this.