whats your favorite place to fish for blue catfish?

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by offshore_angler, Aug 17, 2009.

whats you favorite place to fish for blue's

1. dam's

2. winged dam's

3. deep hole's

4. all the above

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. offshore_angler

offshore_angler New Member

State:
    SW TENNESSEE
    where do you fish for blue's?

2. wayne1967

wayne1967 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Sunday i anchored at the head of a deep 50+ hole on the outside bend of a large river fishing with a large shad head and body cut in half. Was there about thirty minutes when my baitcaster bent over and my freespooled clicker was yelling at me. I picked it up, flipped the lever. turned the clicker off and went to sent the hook.......nothing. Don't know if I pulled it out of it's mouth or what. I am going to keep tryng it. It also has a small cove that goes back into the bank a little that cuts some of the current off. Nice break in the features of the rest of the river.

3. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Around the Melvin Price Lock and Dam in Alton, Il., from the bank.

4. radish

radish Member

State:
    ms
    I like to fish deep water Dec. to Feb.

5. bvomark

bvomark Well-Known Member

State:
    Bartlesville, oklahoma
    When fishing with jugs for blues in the summer I fish the flats. I typically like water that is less than 10 feet deep.

6. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Well i'd go with the dams & deep holes.:wink:

7. LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN

LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN New Member

State:
    sc
    I have had my best luck so far in deep holes down from the dam I fish.

8. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Old abandoned river channels :big_smile:.

9. 1mickymoo

1mickymoo New Member

State:
    Edgerton, Kansas
    the edge of sandbars this time of year, deep holes in the day or colder weather.

10. ncriverrat

ncriverrat New Member

State:
    Trinity, NC
    i voted deep holes on this one but i atcually like to fish the channels leading to these deeper holes, i fish rivers and where the river constricts the most by shallow flats and rocky shoals, they stage in these deeper holes and when the river rises they travel these channels goin from hole to hole.its kinda like a deer funnel, or pinch point. this setup can be deadly for blues.when the water starts to rise and peaks is best 4 me.

11. offshore_angler

offshore_angler New Member

State:
    SW TENNESSEE
    drift fishing deep holes and fishing dams r my 2 favs...

12. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Its gota be the flat in 6 to 10 ft of water behind the dike and 100 yards in front of the next on the MO river and the sand hump that forms behind a notch dike somtimes as shallow as 2 ft. Also the flat to channel edge in the runn between river bends sic hot spot for monsters

13. argeldeggy

argeldeggy New Member

State:
    WA
    This site is awesome, Im learning some great info. Thanks Guys

14. 320hotrod

320hotrod New Member

State:
    KCMO
    During the afternoon hours, I can't keep away from bridge pillars in the channel, the more current and bigger scour hole, the better! Still perfecting my nightime spots, but working the sand flats pretty hard, especially if there's a secondary channel along the bank.

15. fishnvince

fishnvince New Member

State:
    na
    Because of its proximity to where I live, most of my Catfishing takes place on the Potomac River. I have over the years found out how to catch these great Cats in alot of different situations and places along the river. My favorite would have to be deep holes over 50'. Something about fighting a 50# fish up to the surface only to have him run you straight back to the bottom.:smile2: Thanks for asking

16. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    The water is usually were I find all my blues.:big_smile: Just playing. I like to find a deep hole with some current.

17. festus

festus New Member

I have to say dams because I can fish both above the dam and below the dam, and the lock at the dam. BUT, my biggest blue cat was caught in rip rap in a little bay near a culvert with current that couldn't be over 6' to 8' deep.

18. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Deep holes in the Cumberland River ( Lake Barkley). Most any spot with deep water in the river channel will produce. Usually adjacent to shallow flats, points, bends all work well for me.:big_smile:

drake1 likes this.
  19. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Below Barkley dam near the wall that sticks out near the last turbine in the boil OR....At the state prison at Barkley between the ramp and old wall .

20. screamnreels

screamnreels Member

State:
    Halifax county
    I second that! In the lake at least 50ft of water.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2009