What's your favorite or most used sinker?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by 10gaOkie, Jul 15, 2008.

1. 10gaOkie

10gaOkie New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    What style and weight sinker do you grab most often for cats? 2, 4, 6oz, bank, egg or what? My favorite is the 2oz egg, however, I have others for different situations but most often the 2oz egg is on my line.
    Also, what is your most radical sinker that you use? I have seen guys using 24oz bank sinkers for river fishing but never used them myself. The most radical I have used is a 5oz egg. When I posted this thread, I was thinking mainly of rod and reel use but if you want to talk about your trotline and jug weights, that ok too.
    Chris

2. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i mainly use 5-oz no rolls... but at time will fish 8-oz no rools.

3. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    i like no rolls. unless i want to drift a bait along the current i use no rolls. to drift a bait down the current ill use a bank or egg.

i have molds and pour my own no and banks sinkers from used wheel weights.

4. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    5oz. banksinkers on my surf rods. 2oz bank sinkers on my tiger rods for drifting. 2 oz. egg sinkers carolina rigged on my ugly stick catfish rods. if i have trouble with my bank sinker moving in the current i smash them with a hammer to make them no roll.

5. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    Like jeremy I pour my own. I carved a no roll sinker mold out of a piece of aluminum last year. My first custom made mold. But I also have egg, bank and a couple other ones. I use any where from 1/4 to 10+ in different situations.

6. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    3oz to 8oz no rolls but the one I use the most is the 6oz

7. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I typically use a 3 oz egg or bank sinker. These work well for me on the carolina rig or a 3-way rig. I keep some on hand that go up to 6 oz, but mostly if I need more, I just add numbers.

8. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I use 4-6oz flat bank sinkers depending on which 12' set up I am using.

9. Shreveport Mike

Shreveport Mike New Member

State:
    louisiana
    I use 3 ounce bank sinkers.

10. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I use 1.5oz eggs sinkers on a Carolina rig. I use this for bottom Catfishing or Striper Down rods.

I also use 1.5oz Slinky weights. I use them while drifting with 3" floats . If I have that rig on and want to bottom fish without retying I can throw on a split shot to peg the slinky next to the swivel.

I pour and make my slinkys but atm I buy the 1.5oz eggs. They only cost me $2.20 for 8 sinkers. For that price who can complain.

We have deep water but little current. Anything over 1.5 isn't needed. And with the prices of lead these days I gotta conserve lead.

Of course like most I'm sure, I will get all Einstein and make up different things but in the end, this is what is always use . So if I gotta pack light for a trip, it's all 1.5oz weights.

Oh, and if I do need a no roll I will just smash a egg sinker and that will work good enough.

-Jim-

11. mhbomber

mhbomber New Member

State:
    Wilmington
    I have my boat set up with 6 rod holders. I have four in the back and two on the front of the boat. I use two oz egg sinkers on the back poles and let the current take the bait for a while and I use 6 oz no roll sinkers on the front poles to keep them from getting tangled with the back lines.

12. Ruger 454

Ruger 454 Member

State:
    LaGrange Kentucky
    I use 5-8 oz. flat bank sinkers in the river.

13. scooter079

scooter079 New Member

State:
    ohio
    1oz egg sinkers with a float and 5 oz no rolls on bottom

14. ChannelCatBen

ChannelCatBen New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I use a 2oz. no-roll most of the time. I'll step it up to as much as 6, depending on the current. I have a lighter rig that I use for channels, and that gets a 1/2 to 3/4 oz egg sinker. I use that one to drift with the current.

I have an old Crown Royal bag full of lead that I take with me when I hit the river. I have no-rolls from 2-6 oz, eggs and bells from 1/2-3 oz, and a few bank sinkers of various sizes. I use them all in different situations.

15. OhioRiverCatfisher

OhioRiverCatfisher New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    All depends on the conditions I am fishing in but would have to say my mostly used would be 2oz to 3oz no rolls. Once again, it all depends on where I'm fishing and type of fishing (boat, bank, drifting, etc).

16. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i use 3-5 bank sinkers most of the time. we pour our own too.

17. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    2 ounce egg sinkers on my cat bobbers and 2 to 20 0unce when fishing swirt current on the arkansas river but 95% of my fishing i use 1 to 6 ounce no rolls.

18. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I use bank sinkers all the time, from 2 oz up to 8 depending on the current. In heavy water and current, (fishing outlets) from the bank I use a break away rig. I intentionally get my sinker hung up, and us 12 lb test to tie the weight on. A 15 lb cat will break the 12 lb test in heavy running water.

I also make a "Claw bank sinker" I take wire hangers and thru the eye of the sinker, I run 2 pieces of the wire thru, and bend it down and from 4 hooks, and use heavy rubber bands to keep the wires close to the sinker. This saves on the lead, and a quick jerk will straighten out the wire. I use this set up when I have a hard time getting the sinkers to hold, (ie. small rocks, sand).

If I am in the boat I use 3 oz bank sinkers. If I need an egg sinker, I take a large swivel, that will not fit thru the eye of a bank sinker and put my sinker above the swivel and run it that way. However I learned a lesson the hard way, only use quality swivels, or do not tie onto the swivel, just run your line thru both eyes on the swivel, and tie one end to, to hold the swivel in place.

19. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I prefer the no roll. The weight depends on the current .

20. wneubauer

wneubauer New Member

State:
    McKinney, TX
    I like the pyramids, anywhere from 1 to 5oz depending on conditions...