What's Your Favorite Leader Line?

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by the_nis, Jan 6, 2006.

1. the_nis

the_nis Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    Because of the responses I received in my "Catfishing with a steel leader" thread, I've decided to possibly stop using a steel leader and use a heavy test mono leader instead.

My question is, what kind of line do you guys use for leaders and what test?

Thanks!

2. centralcalcat

centralcalcat New Member

State:
    Marion, TX
    I typically use whatever is on the rest of my line for cats, for trout I use 4lb test. I don't like using heay leaders, unless I am going for something with big teeth aka pike, musky, etc.

3. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I usually use 50-80 lb mono for leader......just any plain mono works for me. :)

4. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I usually use 20-25# mono leader, either Ande, or flourocarbon, doesn't seem to matter much. If I'm in a lot of timber, I may go heavier to help with abrasion. Most of my main lines are 50-65# braided.

5. three_rivers

three_rivers New Member

State:
    Tupelo Ar
    I use the same line as i would my main line. Used to use 30pd mono leaders and had the problem of breaking it off loosing the fish so i stepped up to 65pd braid leaders and haven't looked back. I've lost only one fish like this and it was more than likely because of the situation at the time. The only lighter line i use now is on my sinkers......

6. Chuckb

Chuckb New Member

State:
    Pana Illinois
    I use either 40 or 50# ande clear for my leaders. It is very abrasion resistant, fairly easy to tie and strong.

7. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I use a mono leader matched to the size hook, smaller hook less pound test leader. then adjust my drag accordingly. As for type of leader I like the fluorocarbons best, but not the price. Right now I am using stren leader material because I found a heck of a sale, so I bought a bunch of it. Berkley biggame and ande are my preferred monos. 60 lb is the biggest I have used.

8. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I use 30 lb P-Line mono leaders in combination with 40 lb Berkley Big Game fishing line. The P-Line is known to be very abrassive resistant. My other two choices are Sufix and Berkley Vanish mono leaders.

9. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    Any good quality salt water mono should work. If you change your mind and go with steel, try the nylon coated steel leaders...they didn't seem to bend up so bad.

10. Rainman4u2

Rainman4u2 Guest

30 lb Big Game.

Ray

11. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    I use from 8lb to 50 lb for leaders. Or what Ever buck leaves in the boat. LOL
    PEte

12. wpsatisfide

wpsatisfide New Member

State:
    Pawleys Island, SC
    using 20 or 30# big game as that is what i have right now on close to empty spools.

13. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    I just fish for channels the most, that's what is real close to home. I use twenty pound line but made all my leaders out of 17# Cajun Red, it's what was handy and supposedly dissapears in the water. Guess I will find out.

14. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I use 50# leaders on a 20# mainline, and 80# leaders on a 40# mainline. A rule of thumb that I use is the leader is at least twice the strength of my mainline, because a short leader will not stretch as much as a long mainline will. I also snell all of my hooks on for better strength at the hook.

15. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    I have been using the same #lb. test as my main line for my leaders. However, I'm reading with interest to learn reasons to use leaders that are heavier than the main line.

16. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Trust me, You won't be sorry you went to heavier leaders. They work great!!!!

17. the_nis

the_nis Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    I guess what I'm most worried about is if I run into a nice muskie or pike and I don't have a steel leader on. Although I have caught pike and muskie with no leader on at all...

18. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Yeah they do! Esspecialy around heavy cover and rocks and stuff. And big cats will roll up in your line alot of times.....having a good leader can help with that too, because they can damage or break a leader from rolling in it with those fins. Had it happen with smaller leaders.....anyone that dosent have at least 50 lb leader should probaly do so. I think 80 lb is even better!

Good luck. Zakk :)

19. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Steel leaders can turn some cats off though.....but I know what your saying. Maybe if you used 100 lb mono leader or something it would still hold up to a musky.....most likely?

Zakk :)

20. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    My Leader is always the same as my main line, 25-30lb test berkly big gane.