Whats your favorite hook size for small Channels?

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by flatheadsalyer1, Jun 19, 2009.

1. flatheadsalyer1

flatheadsalyer1 New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    I have been using a #1 J hook for channels in the 1 to 5 lb class, was just curious what everyone else liked. I use circle hooks when huntin biguns but have had no success with them on smaller fish!

Steve

2. alpal16

alpal16 New Member

State:
    Philly, PA
    I have had luck with circles on the smaller ones---i like to use a 2/0-3/0 size. Any bigger and you miss the hookup or risk hooking them through the eye :eek:oooh::eek:oooh: I was using sickles, but got too many gut hooked fish, maybe a 1/0.

3. Cutbait101

Cutbait101 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Steve i use 3/0 eagle claw 084 j hook for small channels.but i have caught many large blues also on that hook.i use mustad big gun 6/0 hooks for drift fishing for blues.those bad boys are sharpe!:wink:

4. Zero

Zero New Member

State:
    SC
    Caught them from 1/2 lb up to 28 lbs on a #2 Mustad kahle hook. Depends on the bait size though.

5. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    I use a # 5 or #7 Matzuo Sickle hook from Wild Wolf Proctucts .Com for G-wood Channels. If they load a rod they are hooked! I've caught 20+ lb blues on'em. Give'em a try! I believe you'll be happy with the results.:wink:

6. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    Thanks Pop Pop for reading my mind!:wink:
    DITTO!!

7. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    I use the 6/0 Matzuo sickle for channels. Like Pop Pop said - if they get the bait in their mouths, they're hooked! These are the best hooks ever, IMO :big_smile: